Raspberry pi zero w Wifi/Bluetooth

Community Forums/General Help/Raspberry pi zero w Wifi/Bluetooth

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#1]
My pi zero w arrived today. I simply swapped the mini sd card in the standard pi zero, but on-board Bluetooth and wifi not being recognised.

So backed up data, formatted the card and re-installed the os.

Still no joy. Anybody else having problems? The pi 3 didn't have these problems.

[edit]
The pi hut said sorry, and to return it. Unless anybody knows what's causing the problem.

skidracer(Posted March) [#2]
Did you try running raspi-config?

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#3]
raspi-config is so old skool now ;) The Pixel GUI simply 'works' on the other built-in Wifi/Bluetooth pi - the pi3.

Brucey(Posted March) [#4]
Seems to be working here.

Did a headless install of the latest raspbian onto an SD card using my Mac. Tweaked the config (enabled OTG, etc : https://gist.github.com/gbaman/975e2db164b3ca2b51ae11e45e8fd40a ).

Installed the card into the Pi, connected the USB port to my Mac, and it booted up.

SSH'd onto the Pi via terminal, and ran raspi-config to enable VNC.
Connected to the Pi via VNC, and connected to my wifi via the menu at the top of the screen.

Currently updating the OS via wifi :-)

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#5]
I've returned mine as it's faulty (the first faulty pi I've received).

The pi 3 has the same wifi and bluetooth chips - but they were recognised straight away.

It's annoying because I'm receiving a foldable bluetooth keyboard/trackpad today.

Steve Elliott(Posted March) [#6]
Received a new pi zero w and still no joy regards wifi and bluetooth.

But thought I'd try another software update today (sudo apt-get upgrade then sudo apt-get update) and it worked! Typing this on my bluetooth keyboard/trackpad.

It seems software on pi 3 was ready to go, but pi zero w wasn't.

ok back on track, lets try and code this beautifully efficient thing!