How do you send a blitz executable to someone?

Community Forums/General Help/How do you send a blitz executable to someone?

Matty(Posted 2017) [#1]
I want to send one of my blitz executables (plus an image file) to someone but I'm struggling to do so:

My web host won't allow me to upload .exe or .zips containing .exe files.

Gmail blocks all .apk, .zip, .exe files even if you convert them to .txt files.

My work email blocks all attachments with such extensions and so on as well.

How are you supposed to send a friend an executable who is at a remote location?

The only solution I can think of is getting a courier to transport a flash drive?????!?!?!?

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#2]
rename game.zip to game.zip.raw used to work fine for gmail (rename back again at other end)

Matty(Posted 2017) [#3]
Thanks skidracer I'll try that.

Matty(Posted 2017) [#4]
Nah doesn't work...oh well it's okay.

Zethrax(Posted 2017) [#5]
EDIT: This post made no sense so I deleted it. My brain confused 'web-host' with 'ISP' for some reason.

Kryzon(Posted 2017) [#6]
Try putting a password on the archive and selecting "encrypt filenames", this way the web host shouldn't be able to analyse that it's an EXE.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#7]
I am doing what Kryzon proposed for months now. Using 7z and password-encrypted file paths has another benefit: you do not need admin privileges on windows like you need else when trying to execute a downloaded executable (also happening to simple zipped ones).

Bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2017) [#8]
There are loads of free file upload websites, like wetransfer and hightail.
Are you saying none of those sites are accessible from Australia?

iprice(Posted 2017) [#9]
Change the name from .EXE to .EX - works in Gmail then. That's what I do. Gwt the end user to rename it back to .EXE

You could always use DropBox - no issues there.

SabataRH(Posted 2017) [#10]
Don't all free Google Gmail accounts come with Google Drive? there's not many easier ways to send/share files then Google Drive.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#11]
Sometimes publishing a link is not possible (private data should not be stored "somewhere").

.exe to .ex ...
Mail servers check files regardless of their extension...dunno why gmail skips that. So do not rely on it.

Bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#12]
First of all I would never send an exe - a zip file containing exe and media in appropriate folders instead.

Secondly, you can't even send zip files? You need to change your ISP.

DropBox can handle zips.

Dan(Posted 2017) [#13]
search google for tiny file upload, it will give you few of upload possibilities.

Then you can send him a link, which looks somewhat like this : http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=13809199068113994523

or let him install a local fileserver, like HFS or Filezilla Server and let him send you his IP and you upload it, or you install it, and send your IP to him and let him download.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#14]
I would send a 7z archive...

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#15]
At work we have a very tight lock down.

To punch through the mailserver's security policies I :
1. Put the .exe in a zip file and then rename .zip to .aaa.
2. Attach it.
3. Put instructions in the email for the addressee on how to rename the .aaa back to .zip and finally unzip.

Works everytime.

But otherwise I'd just use https://www.mediafire.com

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#16]
rename game.zip to game.zip.raw used to work fine for gmail (rename back again at other end)

Won't always work, anti spam/virus firewalls like the Barracuda appliances can also detect & block exe and zip based on content, not just extensions.

you can try a .7z or .rar archive, OR you can just put it online somewhere and email a download link rather than the actual executable itself.

You can also try to send a password-protected zip, since the email provider can't scan the contents it won't be able to see a .exe inside of it. The flipside of that is that many email systems won't allow any password protected zip anymore since some virusses use that to circumvent scanning as well. ("your creditcard has been compromised! Open the attachment for details, which has been password protected (1234) for your security!")

Unfortunately, due to many years of malware and fishing attacks, few providers allow .exe 's to pass through their email system...

degac(Posted 2017) [#17]

My web host won't allow me to upload .exe or .zips containing .exe files.

This is very strange.
I have some web sites and I can upload and download .exe files without problems.
It seems a very strictly security policy...
In any case with GMAIL a solution is to use .rar file (it seems Gmail can't scan it) or change the extension (.ex)

Or a combination of both: rename the .exe and .zip it (image+program)

Derron(Posted 2017) [#18]
This isn't strange at all.

I configured my mailserver similary - it scans archives and does not allow executables. Just a little security thing. By the way it is even "default" for many "how to setup your server"-guides or premade things like iRedMail.

So people who just setup their mail host to have a bit of amavis (spamassassin, clamav...) and dovecot might use this restrictive setting.

But hey, I am able to send my binaries (linux) to others without hassle. Executable bit has to be set manually then on the other users side of the connection.

@ .ex
I wonder why this works for gmail. I doubt they really use an "extension"-based filtering instead of just checking the magic bytes. If they allow ".zip" containing exe-files then it is just to avoid "download + execute" workflows (help the "security-blind"-people).

bye
Ron

coffeedotbean(Posted 2017) [#19]
use 7zip and tick the option to 'encrypt file names' that's what I do for sending via gmail.

popcade(Posted March) [#20]
Mediafire or MEGA might do the job, you may still need to provide a password to protect your private things.

Grisu(Posted March) [#21]
I use Mediafire. Reliable and fast.