from coding video games to coding os for electronic circuits (chips/boards)

Community Forums/General Help/from coding video games to coding os for electronic circuits (chips/boards)

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#1]
Hello,

I am less and less interested in playing or making video games. I will probably continue to make some demos when the desire comes, but i don't have much interest in this like i used to have...

However, all this programming knowledge is not lost, because i am interested in electronic circuits which allow to create all kinds of devices which can be useful in "real life". (like custom surveillance systems, or custom lights/sounds system, or remote alert/control from/of some sensors/devices, or automation of some manual repetitive tasks, or electrotherapy devices...)

In the past i use to outsource the design of the circuit and the programming of the "os" (like with arduino chips/boards)

Maybe some of you have some experience with such chips/boards to produce the devices that they want, my question is how difficult is it to learn, and can you suggest any good tutorials/lessons on the web ?

Thanks,

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#2]
If it's robotics/small electronic projects you're interested in why not go the easy way: use Raspberry Pi's?

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#3]
i don't know about "Raspberry Pi", i will take a look. Thanks

gpete(Posted 2017) [#4]
The PI is very cool-a nice Linux computer- with integrated controller circuitry, many books and examples..

Steve Elliott(Posted 2017) [#5]
There are lots of tutorials out there regards using the pi for those types of project.

But you might find some things of interest here:

https://thepihut.com/

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#6]
Thanks, i will take a look.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2017) [#7]
Also:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#8]
However, all this programming knowledge is not lost, because i am interested in electronic circuits which allow to create all kinds of devices which can be useful in "real life". (like custom surveillance systems, or custom lights/sounds system, or remote alert/control from/of some sensors/devices, or automation of some manual repetitive tasks, or electrotherapy devices...)

A while ago (... around 15 years ago) I delved into PIC programming. Microchip do an interesting chip called the 16F84 which is re-programmable - although there may well be simpler products to program and interface to the real world these days ;)