Long time!

Community Forums/General Help/Long time!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2017) [#1]
Haven't posted here for some years.....

Have many published (yes in game mags) games/apps with Blitz3d back whe Win95 was all the range and wondering what I have to go is get them to run on Windows 10 etc.

Is Blitz3d still current?

TIA!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2017) [#2]
Some other questions

Should I port my games/apps to BlitzMax? Is that easy?
Can I use Mac to develop on?
Can I build for Win10 and Mac?

Thnaks for your help

TomToad(Posted 2017) [#3]
Blitz3D still uses DirectX 7.0. Any programs compiled with older versions of Blitz3D will not run, or runs with problems on newer versions of windows. Any programs compiled with the latest version of B3D runs just fine on all versions including Windows 10. Older programs can be fixed simply by recompiling with the latest B3D.

As for BlitzMAX, it has MiniB3D and OpenB3D which are OpenGL versions of B3D. There are also several wrappers for various engines such as irrlitch which works on OpenGL and DX v7-12. With BlitzMAX, you can compile for Mac, Windows, and Linux, but you have to use the system you are compiling on (i.e. you need a Mac to compile for Mac, and you need Windows to compile for Windows)

Since B3D, B+ and BMAX are all free and Open Source now, go ahead and give them a try and see which fits you best.

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#4]
Should I port my games/apps to BlitzMax?

No you should write new games while you are young.

But MaxIDE the BlitzMax editor does have an import bb project but no it won't be simple. If you use 3D and not 2D then prepare for a world of pain.

BlitzMan(Posted 2017) [#5]

Blitzplotter(Posted 2017) [#6]
Blitz3D still uses DirectX 7.0. Any programs compiled with older versions of Blitz3D will not run, or runs with problems on newer versions of windows. Any programs compiled with the latest version of B3D runs just fine on all versions including Windows 10. Older programs can be fixed simply by recompiling with the latest B3D.

Good to know, I'm still compiling away with B3D on my W7 box and wondered about how it would do on a W10 box, happy dayz ;)

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#7]
B3D executables will prompt you to install directplay, which is no longer enabled by default in the latest Windows versions. If your program is compiled with the latest version it's be OK after that, if it was compiled with an older release you may see significant performance/framerate issues.