I know you guys like a tech bargain project

Community Forums/General Help/I know you guys like a tech bargain project

Mainsworthy(Posted 2017) [#1]
dont know why general chat, create topic isnt there, so popping this here

I may have a slow update on my phone because I'm using an old PC and an old phone, the PC is running the game aswell as streaming it, but a faster PC may be better.

Ok, I looked into VR, I never realy got into this before, but after seeing some of the videos I decided to look into it.

after researching I found Oculas to be best it has a steam libruary of cheap games and is powerfull, but you still need a powerfull games PC, the vive was difficult to setup because of needing a full room and a powerfull games PC, the PS4 was easy setup but limited to a few PS4 games but its cheap especialy if you have a Ps4 already. all these are expensive, but the windows 10 VR coming soon is cheap and has outward looking motion detection not needing sensers or cameras etc... so I would say this is the one to have.

Now I looked at budget headsets for as little as £12 , I bought a £30 one to have a better experience, next I downloaded some apps on my iPhone, yes they were basic but not to bad, so I proceded and fond you can stream PC games to the iPhone, the server app on your PC is free, the iPhone app is £10, but you can try it for free, the app is called "Kinoni Streamer", after playing with it it was easy to get it going, the mouse control has 3 options you have to use 1 and 3 not 1 and 2 as I thought, and the mouse still didn't work until I chose the bottom option to be on for image duplication , don't know why but you need it to control the mouse with the phone, but damb it was a reliable connection to the PC it worked fine, I used some other apps but the conection kept disconnecting.

now I didn't know about VR so I bought some steam VR games, and found My phone could not control them because they use oculas or vive etc.. controlers to move etc... now I though if the phone was moving the mouse all I needed was ordinary games with mouselook, and I ran spintires and it worked , I found the screen was not updating as fast as Id liked, but you can do things like lower the res I belive,

I found I have a VR game project cars that use mouslook to control the VR environment, so I'm installing now, when you buy a VR game from steam check what input it uses, if its mouse, you can probably use your phone to control it.

as the screen is slow at updating I believe older mouslook games may work better, then I saw the star wars bundle on humble bundle, so grabed them.

you can get free VR games and demoes of steam, and buy older mouselook games, for £10 if you have a phone you could play with VR, you can even try it for free but it stops after a while. there is an android version .

you may be able to stream movies etc.. not tried yet, but the desktop is streamed to the phone, so the phone has desktop power

I have a very old iPhone so wifi may be slow for me. you can also try VR on your phone without a headset by closing one eye and looking at one screen

Derron(Posted 2017) [#2]
Your phone needs to have a gyroscope... Not available in most "china smartphones"... Which is what most budget users have.
I also own such a vr-glasses thing (10 eur including mini-bluetooth-joypad) but totally forgot that none of our phones (Huawei ones) seems to have gyroscopes. Had to use a (non-low-level) windows phone of my father to test it out. But availability of working and "free" vr games in their store was very very limited. Played a zombie shooting game (target a unit log enough and autoshoot...). Was ok but phone res was too low so you saw the grid...

Bye
Ron

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#3]
after researching I found Oculas to be best it has a steam libruary of cheap games and is powerfull, but you still need a powerfull games PC, the vive was difficult to setup because of needing a full room and a powerfull games PC, the PS4 was easy setup but limited to a few PS4 games but its cheap especialy if you have a Ps4 already. all these are expensive, but the windows 10 VR coming soon is cheap and has outward looking motion detection not needing sensers or cameras etc... so I would say this is the one to have.

Specs for Vive vs. Occulus are near identical. I use a Radeon RX480 4GB graphics card myself, which so far has worked well for everything I've tried to run on it. <$200

Personally I greatly prefer the room-scale VR stuff over the sitdown versions, because I have no motion sickness in roomscale, but feel like puking after 30 seconds of the sit-down games (disconnect between seeing movement while not actually moving physically is disorienting and nauseating. Of course, YMMV. I can't play typical FPS games on a normal monitor without getting sick either, but roomscale VR doesn't bother me at all.)

Vive includes room-scale sensors and controllers, but if you add the motion controllers to occulus then the cost is pretty much the same for both.

And FWIW, there's some 3rd party mods to add Vive VR support to existing games as well, e.g. Doom 3 Steam BFG edition: http://uploadvr.com/doom-3-bfg-vr-vive/
Don't know if there's any occulus mods.

/Got a Vive myself
//Pretty nice
///Games are a lot cheaper than for the PS4 VR

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#4]
Also, depending on where you live: Some stores like Best Buy actually have demo stations set up for the occulus, so you can try before you buy.

(Although supposedly they are in the process of cutting down the number of them, so don't wait too long)

andy_mc(Posted 2017) [#5]
I've tried a rift demo with the hand controllers and now can't stand using phone based VR when I know how good the top end is. I'm saving for a new PC and rift now.