RX 480 vs GeForce 1060 - Nvidia Software Question

Community Forums/General Help/RX 480 vs GeForce 1060 - Nvidia Software Question

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#1]
My currently videocard is pretty old right now (Radeon HD 6750), and I'm looking at getting something new.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, and there's two recent cards that have caught my eye: the Radeon RX 480, and the Geforce 1060.

- The 480 is slightly cheaper
- The 480 AMD had some controversion because it pulls more power from the PCI-e bus than the PCI-e spec allows -- this has been addressed by a software update in the past couple of days
- The 1060 is slightly faster (est. ~15%?)

Based on that, the 1060 looks slightly better to me, but there is one thing: Having only had ATI/AMD cards for the past 15 years or so, I am not familiar with the nvidia configuration software.

AMD Catalyst allows me to create multiple color profiles, and has a hotkey function that allows you to switch these profiles by hitting custom keyboard combinations (e.g. CTRL-ALT-F12)

I normally set a much lower gamma setting on my video card in Windows, to make the screen much easier on the eyes. Since that does hide details and makes some things hard to see I have multiple keyboard shortcuts to quickly cycle between my default (dark), 'proper' calibration, and extra light to spot-check details

So... Any nvidia users that can weight in on this?

If there is no quick profile switch ability then I'll probably go with the RX 480 when they're back in stock. :-?

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#2]
...Anyone?

Henri(Posted 2016) [#3]
Hi xlsior,

I'm afraid that Nvidia control panel doesn't support any keyboard shortcuts. You can adjust your color/gamma settings though.

Nvidia cards are usually credited with being slightly faster than their Radeon counterparts and consuming less power which were the reason I ended with GTX 750 Ti. Radeon cards on the otherhand have slightly better graphics quality and this would be my conclusion also after playing CIV5 with both cards with default settings.

-Henri

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
Don't adjust your gamma, just the brightness on Nvidia Cpanel. I do that on my setup and we have the same problem re: easy on the eyes.