way to get and to edit the firmware of a device ?

Community Forums/General Help/way to get and to edit the firmware of a device ?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello,

Is there a way to get and to edit the firmware of a device ?

I have an old usb mp3 player that i really like, it has all functionalities that i need and is robust (so i can do manual work with it, not like a smartphone/minitablet !)
But i would like to edit some functionalities (like the speed at which it goes forward/backward while browsing a mp3, and the timeout of the screen light)

Maybe there is someone who has already worked with firmwares on this board ?

Can i get the firmware by connecting it via the existing usb with a specific key combination or with a specific software or is it (most likely) on a chip on the PCB ?
(=is it doable or is it too complicated)

Thanks,

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#2]
In all likelihood, it's extremely unlikely since most devices use some proprietary way of accessing/updating, plus many modern devices use cryptographically signed firmware to prevent 3rd party tampering.. Aside from the fact that the firmware will be the equivalent of executable code for which you don't have the source...

So unless theirs already a vibrant ecosystem of 3rd party ROMs for your specific device, more than likely your out of luck.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#3]
Ok... i expected such answer... Thanks anyway.

Floyd(Posted 2016) [#4]
I have an old Sansa e250 that still works. Apparently Rockbox will run on it but I have never built up enough enthusiasm to try.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#5]
@Floyd>>Yours is rather modern, mine (hoher mp3 125) doesn't have colours on the screen. There is not even a photo of the device on google image. It is from another age. !!!