F1 2014 and Windows 8.1

Community Forums/General Help/F1 2014 and Windows 8.1

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#1]
I purchased F1 2014 today via Steam. Everything installed fine on my Dell laptop, and all local files verified without anything needing to be reacquired. However, every time I launch the game, it apparently fails to start. There is no error message: the "preparing to launch" window opens, closes immediately, and nothing else happens.

After some investigation, I have discovered that the program DOES start, but sits in the background consuming 30-40% CPU for 4+ minutes, before eventually opening a full screen display and running normally. Searching via Google has revealed this to be a common issue with this game on Windows 8.1, but none of the suggested solutions (update drivers [AMD 8730M], change UAC settings etc.) have made any difference.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, did they manage to fix it?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#2]
My last F1 experience on PC was a similar fail, some racing games are best left to the consoles. Think I might still have the offending game around somewhere.....

I do remember Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix working quite well on the Amiga though, without too many glitches.

Sorry, I only have a Windows 7 machine and the only advice I can offer is play racing games on consoles.

col(Posted 2016) [#3]
May be a long shot but if the game is generating files of any nature then it could be windows defender being overly protective. It can be configured to not monitor the game folder.

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#4]
What col says -- but check any anti-virus program. If you are running one, try to temp[orarily disable it and see if it makes any difference. If it does, exclude the game folder(s) from the real-time scan.

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#5]
Thanks for the suggestions. I use Kaspersky, which doesn't allow Defender to run at the same time as itself, so Defender is not the issue. I have bypassed the game folder in Kaspersky - and even tried pausing protection altogether - but this does not help. I have also tried enabling/disabling Steam cloud, starting Steam in offline mode, reinstalling F1 2014, verifying the local file cache - nothing makes any difference.

The Codemasters forum is full of people with the same issue, but no-one seems to have a solution. The peculiar thing is that when I temporarily installed the game on my Win7 desktop (I don't usually run games on this because it's my work machine) it starts normally (up and running within 10 seconds) - yet this has the same protection applications installed as my Win8.1 laptop. Additionally confusing is the fact that previous versions of the game (F1 2010 & F1 2012) run fine on Win8.1.

Oh well - the game DOES run - I'll just have to wait for the 5 minutes taken to launch it whenever I want to play. Not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless.

I guess I also won't be buying F1 2016 (which looks very impressive) or any other future incarnations of the game. Codemasters' lack of support on their own forum is not the best way to instill confidence in potential purchasers...

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#6]
Another possibility: Try temporarily disabling the built-in windows firewall (or 3rd party software firewall if you have one), I've seen some programs run extremely slow if they can't communicate, and wait a long time to time out and continue