way/tool to automatically set mp3 title + artistna

Community Forums/General Help/way/tool to automatically set mp3 title + artistna

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello, :)

I am looking for a way/tool to automatically set the mp3 title and the artistname same as the title and authorname in the filename of the .mp3 files.
for example, i have mp3 files with filenames like that :
title - authorname.mp3
(the - symbol always separate the title from the authorname)
I am looking for a way to automatically set the mp3 metadata title and artist (=author) depending on the datas in the filename.

Any idea ?

I already know that i can edit that by right clicking on the file, then properties, then details, but for many files it is time consuming to do that...

Thanks for your suggestions !

Derron(Posted 2016) [#2]
"Mp3Tag" should be able to do that.

I use "EasyTag" (should be available on windows too).
Select the parent path of the MP3s ... and then by "filename -> tag" you create the "mask" you want (in your case define the "-" as splitter). Then it does the work for all selected files (aka: files in the folder + subfolder).

If it is an album, you could also search for the album data online, so it auto-fetches coverart and additional meta data.

Open "EasyTag"
Click on "Scanner"
Select "scanner - fill tags"
Enter "%a - %t"

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#3]
@Derron>>Thanks, i will take a look and try.

Kryzon(Posted 2016) [#4]
Yeah I use MP3Tag, it lets you do macros (called "Actions" in that program) for setting tags based on constants like filename, folder name, reorder tracks based on their file order etc.

In MP3Tag, open a folder with all your tracks using menu "Change Directory..." (CTRL + D). This lists all mp3 files in that folder.
Then go to menu "Actions -> Actions", click on button "New" to create a new action.
When you are editing an Action you add operations to it.
The one you're looking for seems to be "Format Value", it lets you alter a field of the MP3 file (such as ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK (number), GENRE etc.) based on some constant like I mentioned above.

When selected, that action should work on all the mp3 files of the active folder.