Game Maker or BlitzMax?

Community Forums/General Help/Game Maker or BlitzMax?

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hy, I want to discuss with everyone about a flip flop decision I am stuck on. I do code in C++ but I like to learn other easier tools for game making also. My reason is because I'm still getting things flowing in my brain like tile collision in C++ Allegro 5 and this and that and so on. I have no problem with learning two things at the same time. However, I installed Game Maker and even though It is insanely easy It still takes some time devotion (not that I have a problem with that). Furthermore I relized that perhaps blitzmax would be more worth it. This is because I have prior experience in BASIC. Does any one no that book Programming Video Games For Kids by Johnathan S. Harbor? I read it, and found some tutorials online also on QBASIC and QuickBasic 4.5. I also had little experience with Atari BASIC, which was insanely easy. I am starting to think perhaps I should give BlitzMax a try! But as it says can you really make a game on windows machine and port it to mac and Linux? If so then I that's one point for Blitz because Game Maker only has windows exporter. (I will not pay money to make games to other platforms). What do you guys think? I actually have blitz 3D but I have to learn blender first and want to try things with 2D before I move on. So Which do you guys think is best? Personally although Blitz Max is probably better for me I still want to here from you guys...

H&K(Posted 2016) [#2]
BMax is really just something to use instead of C++. (some would say Bmax would be quicker to be messy and quick in, but even they would say that if you know C++, then just use Graphic engines and the like from c++.

Game Maker is trying to make "making games" less "Programming games" and more "/making them". I have no experience of Game Maker, but those business models tend to limit accessibility, then charge for more accessibility. That doesn't mean they are bad. (I really enjoyed fps creator)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#3]
Are you from Japan GameDev3000? :)

Yasha(Posted 2016) [#4]
This is because I have prior experience in BASIC

BlitzMax is not a BASIC language and has no significant similarities to the other languages you've listed there.

It's a really nice language, but familiarity with classic-era BASIC won't help you with it very much. You need to approach it as something new in order to get the best from it.

BlitzBasic (the language that powers Blitz3D and BlitzPlus) isn't really BASIC either, but it has a few points of similarity. BlitzMax has no connection to BASICs of the past at all, which is why it isn't named as one.

BlitzMax is also more of a general-purpose language (like C++) than a game making toolkit. The graphics framework it comes with is quite barebones (e.g. BlitzMax solves the problem of getting your head around tile collision insofar as there are neither tiles nor collisions builtin). If you want fast results, you'll really need to import an actual game engine, the same as you would in any language. But using the engine from BlitzMax might be more fun than using the same engine from C++.

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#5]
Hy guys thanks for the replies. Sorry about being so bloody late but I am on vacation. and by the way (tu) ENAY although I am not from Japan (though I wish I was). I simply love Japanese Culture, otaku culture, and so on. Infact, one could say I am quite the Otaku my self. I think blitzmax might be fun for me, I guess I will try it out.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#6]
Oh I see. I thought perhaps you were in Japan. Just the name then :) I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are serious about wanting to do gamedev in Japan someday you might want to start learning Japanese at the earliest possible opportunity.
(Or if you're always in your fourties, married and with children then forgot this idea :) )

Hardcoal(Posted 2016) [#7]
Blitzmax has certainly similarities with basic..

JapaneseGameDev3000(Posted 2016) [#8]
If theres one thing that I do love about blitz research is there product Blitz3D. Creating 3D games in this language is takes (still a long time) but shorter than using OpenGL and c++. The reason I chose Blitz 3D over Unity is that I prefer just straight coding my games. NO EDITOR. NO DRAG AND DROP. NO NOTHING JUST STRAIGHT CODE. Anyone else feel this way? Although I am going to go to Japan when I'm older so I will eventually learn Japanese, It probably wont be for game dev. I simply love Japan what else can I say lol.(: And yes hard coal you are right. I took one look at the tuts that came with blitz max and BOOM. BASIC baby! I also like Blitz 3D because of its nice documentation (especially from great community members like you peeps). However, I still got to go through modeling and animating and mapping tuts for blender so I can take use of the software. Anyway feel free to share how you got into your blitz research language! If not then see you on another post perhaps!

Talavar(Posted 2016) [#9]
Blitz most certainly IS similar to basic.. Anyone who has programmed an Apple or Commodore can look over the code for a few minutes, pick up the few differences, and take off like a rocket.