Internet not connecting properly and other problem

Community Forums/General Help/Internet not connecting properly and other problem

Matty(Posted 2016) [#1]
This is a weird problem. These may sound like different symptoms but Im trying to work out if it is something with Windows 7, my phone, my phone plan or something else.

I use my phone tethered via usb cable to my pc for internet (im typing this on my phone).

I also use my phones wifi hotspot to connect my work laptop to the net.

I also own a 4g dongle that may or may not work anymore - ive had problems with it in the past.

My phone can connect to the internet.

Until mid May I had been able to connect my computers to the internet via my phone using methods above.

If i connect via wifi hotspot the phone rejects the connection and restarts the connection every 2 seconds.

If i connect via usb tethering it assigns an ip but cannot resolve the dns name of any website on either machine.

I get the same dns issue with the 4g dongle.

Potentially unrelated - my phone's mms picture messaging has also ceaded working without a reboot between each message.

It is a Samsung S5 bought in November last year.

A further complication is that my 2 year plan tying me to our national carrier expired in mid May but my service has supposedly continued according to them on a month by month contract. I did wonder if theyve switched off the ability to extend the phones 4g signal to a pc for some weird reason. But the mms thing makes me wonder if it is a problem with the sim or phone itself.

I do have another phone that uses another carrier i can attempt to tether with.

I also wondered if perhaps win 7 is playing up which is installed on both my pcs. Neither has had any recent windows updates.

Is this problem too hard to isolate?

Matty(Posted 2016) [#2]
Edit - it seems to be my Telstra dongle and Samsung S5 that are causing the problem. My LG Vodafone device can tether to my PC (had to spend $20 bucks recharging the thing though to test this!)....but at least I can connect to the internet using SOMETHING.