File Explorer not working

Community Forums/General Help/File Explorer not working

JBR(Posted 2016) [#1]
Windows 10 and it does not open my drives etc.

Any ideas?

Jim

grable(Posted 2016) [#2]
Not a whole lot to go on here ;)

Do any drives show up at all?

How about accessing them through the terminal?

Do they appear in Disk Management? Do they have assigned drive letters?

You can also run this command to check file integrity:
sfc /SCANNOW
EDIT: If its not the files, then it can be a corrupt registry or even a misbehaving plugin.
To check for explorer plugins, try something like http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Im not sure how to fix a corrupt registry though. Ive had disks fail before at the exact spot where the registry hive is stored, but that corrupted the entire hive so i couldnt even boot.
Try checkdisk and do a deep scan to see if something similar has happened.

If that doesnt fix it, perhaps try going back to a previous State (even though Windows 10 doesnt make them often) or that boot-repair thingy.

Other than that, i smell a reinstall :(

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#3]
Define "Not working" -- does it freeze when trying to load, does it give you an error message, does it load but not show any drives, ...?

Impossible to give any decent answers without more information here.

JBR(Posted 2016) [#4]
The icon on the bar at the bottom of the screen which says 'File Explorer' does nothing when I click it.

It should open the window with my drives etc.

What I've done now is

1) Click the start button
2) Click settings
3) Click System
4) Click Storage
5) Click C: drive
6) Click Pictures
7) Click View Pictures

This shows all the info that File Explorer should.

8) Drag the This PC icon onto the desktop so I can get to it immediately next time.

This is an ok work around for me, just don't like not knowing what is wrong with my 'File Explorer' button. PC seems to be running fine.

Thanks, Jim.

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#5]
Are you running Kaspersky antivirus by any chance? Apparently it has a bug that can break the start menu / pinned programs in some cases

JBR(Posted 2016) [#6]
Using the free AVG software.

grable(Posted 2016) [#7]
What happens when you do WIN+R and type "Explorer" ?
In any case, removing the icon and repinning it should suffice.

The shortcuts themselves are located at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar if you want to mess with them.

JBR(Posted 2016) [#8]
grable - does nothing.

Now noticed that everything I right click on a file/drive/windows icons causes the little circular waiting icon to go on forever.

Looks like a reinstall is inevitable!

Jim

TomToad(Posted 2016) [#9]
Check the PATH environment variable. Apparently a too long one will create problems like this. Just remove entries you don't need in there.

JBR(Posted 2016) [#10]
This is way strange. Everything is working again!

Jim