Win7 - Force Single Instance (not programming)

Community Forums/General Help/Win7 - Force Single Instance (not programming)

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#1]
If I drag and drop multiple files onto a running program using Windows 7 (or 8.1), they open in multiple tabs within the same application instance. However, if I double click the same files one at a time (e.g. PNG files), a new instance of the required application (e.g. PaintShop Pro) is opened for each one.

On WinXP, double-clicked files would load into a tab if an instance of the associated application was already running. Is there a way of forcing this behaviour on Windows 7 (or 8.1)? Despite my best efforts, I have not been able to find a solution via Google.

Floyd(Posted 2016) [#2]
I don't know how to do this or if it is possible. On my Windows 7 the behavior varies by application, and I don't know how to change that either.

If I successively double click on jpg files they open in separate instances of IrfanView.

If I do the same with txt files they open in tabs of a single instance of NotePad++.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#3]
@irfanView
I used to use this too when I still used Windows - remember IrfanView had an option to only use a single instance (so clicking the second jpg loads it in the already opened instance).

Think programmes have to handle it on their own - windows just runs "appname.exe filePath" (or similar).

Maybe this helps a bit to understand it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13477508/how-to-open-multiple-files-in-explorer-at-the-same-time

bye
Ron