How do I add things to Code Archives?

Community Forums/General Help/How do I add things to Code Archives?

darkhog(Posted 2015) [#1]
I'm working on easy to use State Machine code (which is important for game dev) and I would like to share it when I'm done under "do whatever you want with it, but credit me" license.

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#2]
The code archives require that your code is public domain. You can't impose any licence or conditions on code you add. People are not required to credit you if you post your code there.

If you want to apply conditions, stick it on GitHub instead and link to it from a regular forum post. The shortest version of the MIT license is probably the closest "standard" match for your needs.

Zethrax(Posted 2015) [#3]
To add code to the code archives first click the 'Community' tab in the main menu. Then click the 'Code archives' tab in the menu below the main menu. Then click on the code archive category you want to add the code to. Then click the 'Add to the [category name] code archives' link to bring up the page where you add the code.

As Yasha said, your code will need to be in the public domain. If you'd like people to give you credit for the PD code then you can request a credit, but you can't outright require people to credit you.

Personally I find the requirement to give credit fairly silly when you think about the huge number of libraries you'll depend on to make a program (array libraries, string libraries, etc) and probably don't even know the name of the original author to give them credit.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#4]
What I'm doing (which is just taken from what Brucey does) is use the Zlib license plonk it at the top of every source file and release it on GitHub (easy tutorial HERE). You can also use BitBucket or even just post your code to the BMX programming forum.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2016) [#5]
Thing is, people will often credit you anyway when they use your code -- at least that's what I've found. Stick a request in the Code Archives entry if you want to flag up that you'd like to be credited for your efforts, otherwise, yeah, Github or (not ideal for permanency) self-hosted zip with license.txt included, using MIT/Zlib/BSD/Creative Commons-style templates.

Floyd(Posted 2016) [#6]
Github or (not ideal for permanency) self-hosted zip

Web sites are not know for their permanence. The code archives here are no exception.

Incidentally, I occasionally throw a little money at archive.org, which includes the Wayback Machine. But that won't help in this case. They can only save things that are publicly accessable, no login required.