wifi

Community Forums/General Help/wifi

JBR(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi, considering a Mb with onboard .... What is the difference of a WiFi hotspot and the BT router I have for broadband? Will this let me access the internet as my laptop does?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware upgrade zone - 3T3R 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Fastest onboard Wi-Fi up to 1300Mb/s

3x3 dual band 2.4/5GHz antennas included. 802.11ac* Wi-Fi up to 1300Mb/s** transfer speed.

*Wi-Fi Hotspot use up to 802.11 a/b/g/n. Windows 10 does not currently support Wi-Fi hotspot functionality.
**Actual speed may vary due to networking conditions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

skidracer(Posted 2015) [#2]
Hotspot / AP on PC is basically shovelware and useless in most home wireless networks.

I would pick $25 USB stick, it will better shielded from the radio frequencies coming off your motherboard, cheaper and usb commodity devices like wifi radios have better drivers that won't affect performance of existing wireless devices on your network. If you want high speed, don't unplug your cable.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#3]
$25?

Ebay:
"Mini USB WiFi Wireless Adapter Network LAN Card 150Mbps 150M 802.11n/g/b CAFE"

shipped from china for 0,00 (china pays for the post there).
Total price: 1.77 Euro

300mbit variant
Total price: 6-7 Euro

I personally connect all computers via cables as this is no shared medium then. If nobody in _my household_ is using the switches, I can get my 1gbit/s between computer a/b.
If I check the amount of APs around here, I have no channel left for us "alone". So speed will be smaller than 1gbit/s.

The above listed item is of course only 150mbit but this might be fast enough for a simple "check if it is even useable".

And: do not forget that your wlan-ap will downgrade to the lowest speed of all connected devices. So if you own an old smartphone, this will be the "lcd" in most cases.

bye
Ron