Reading from Extend Sat Hard drive?

Community Forums/General Help/Reading from Extend Sat Hard drive?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2015) [#1]
I got new AMD Laptop A10 7300 which is not bad laptop as it had 65 Watts powers. I was going put SAT Hard drive inside but it wont fit in.

So it there is USB Port links for Extend sat hard drive to read from it?

I am sure you know that I have USB Port links wired for SSD Hard drive only for reading them which is good but it not good for sat hard drive.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#2]
Yes.

you can either get a "USB drive enclosure", or a "hard drive dock", both of which will allow you to connect a SATA drive to a USB port.

The drive enclosure is 'permanent', (big hassle to connect a different drive into it), while the dock will allow you to swap drives in seconds, but is more susceptible to dust and such.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#3]
I'm surprised a 2.5 inch hdd wouldn't fit inside?

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#4]
I'm surprised a 2.5 inch hdd wouldn't fit inside?

There's two sizes, either 15mm thick or 9mm thick.

Newer laptops tend to use the 9mm drives, while most older (or high capacity) drives are 15mm

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#5]
Indeed, much in the same way as I had to get a 9mm drive to swap out of my PS4.

I'll have to assume it was an old 2.5 inch drive he had lying around then :-)

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#6]
I'll have to assume it was an old 2.5 inch drive he had lying around then :-)

Doesn't have to be old -- looking at brand new 2TB laptop HDD's, the bulk still appear to be 15mm right now.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#7]
There's also 7mm's and if the system has a DVDplayer/writer you can also buy HD caddy to fit in it's place, but if new then probably wont come with an DVD.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2015) [#8]
Thanks everyone for helping me and I am thinking of getting this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORICO-Aluminum-Dual-Bay-3-5-USB-3-0-SATA-HDD-Hard-Drive-Raid-Enclosure-Black-/161688960285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a569bd1d

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#9]
Looking mighty purdy ;-). However, if your willing to spend money then I'd personally would opt for one that can be connected to a network using UTP or wifi.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#10]
Thanks everyone for helping me and I am thinking of getting this one

Keep in mind: That's using 3.5" HDDs, and presumably the one you got for your laptop would have been 2.5" -- that means that the enclosure may have issues holding on to the drive properly.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#11]
That's using 3.5" HDDs...

That may explain why it wouldn't fit in the laptop ;-)