video codec audio codec for fast recording

Community Forums/General Help/video codec audio codec for fast recording

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hello,

I am still searching, but maybe somebody here knows :
What video codec and audio codec do you recommend for a fast recording of the video displayed on the screen and of the audio going to the speakers ?
I am looking for codecs without any compression if possible.
Any idea ?

Thanks,

Kryzon(Posted 2015) [#2]
The CamStudio codec comes to mind:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/files/legacy/CamStudioCodec_1.5_Setup.exe/download

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#3]
@Kryzon>>Thanks, i wanted to try camstudio and the codec but the executables seems to have several malwares in it :
https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/d7a52c8989658b25a189cb26e79b22432df5523a1ef5efea9f609a82cc817476/analysis/1435250317/
https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/a589f791aea96adc4350b70ecde7572dadd7a80c1a054959874c3d6e01fa4b04/analysis/1435250393/

Not sure what to think about this.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#4]
Is this for PC? Tablet? Mac?

Also is this for your own software or just straight forward general purpose video capture?

(there are solutions for each of these I'm sure.....but finding the right one ...)

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#5]
For Windows
I need a way to record a part of the video which is displayed on the screen and the audio which goes to the speakers.
I have read that it is best to use a video codec and an audio codec which use no/fast compression so that the recording is fast without slowdowns.
I am still doing some tests to find the best combination of codecs. (my laptop has not the best cpu/gpu...)

Do you think that it may be a good idea to record the resulting video/audio on a SD card so that writing is faster than on a HD ?

Matty(Posted 2015) [#6]
No compression will definitely give the fastest recording speed - however reducing the screen resolution of the original images will help with speed and memory.

I don't know much about the hardware but transferring to an SD Card rather than direct to the hard drive does not sound faster to me.

You may able to do it with hardware - if you can output your display to a standard TV recording device (such as PVR) you may be able to do it that way and then you would need some way of accessing the recording.

(There are dedicated hardware devices - roxio etc which are not too costly that do the job - there are also cheap EBAY devices that do the same)

(Alternatively if you have a good tripod and video camera set up - with a quiet place with good lighting you should be able to capture it that way....)

Those are some suggestions....

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#7]

but transferring to an SD Card rather than direct to the hard drive does not sound faster to me

Oh i thought that it was faster to write or to read on a sd card (class 10) or on an usb 3 disk than on an hd...

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#8]
i thought that it was faster to write or to read on a sd card (class 10) or on an usb 3 disk than on an hd...

Heh ;-)
I suppose that depends how slow you IDE hard drive is?

My 2 disk Thunderbolt RAID is at least as fast as the internal SATA drive.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#9]
I don't know about the specs of my HD, i suppose the best way to know is to do some tests.

big10p(Posted 2015) [#10]
If you have a half decent nVidia video card, use the bundled Shadowplay. It has manual stop/start recording as well as being able to record retrospectively. I haven't noticed any system slowdown by enabling it, either. God knows how it works, but it's awesome.