Windows 7 migration

Community Forums/General Help/Windows 7 migration

Yue(Posted 2015) [#1]
I'm always behind the technology and in about 10 years.

But halfway through the installation it tells me that the hardware is not supported.

Any Suggestions?

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#2]
Does it tell you WHAT hardware isn't supported?
Depending on what it is, you may have the option to continue in acompatibility mode and deal with missing drivers afterwards.

Windows 7 uses a different driver format than XP, meaning that you will need different drivers for your hardware components. some of them will be bundled on the windows installation disk, while others would need to be explicitly loaded by you - in the windows installer you can hit a key (F6?) and it gives you the option to load additional drivers from USB flash drive, floppy, or CD/DVD.
If you can't see your hard disk at all during the setup, you will need a boot-time driver for the hard drive controller from whatever company made your motherboard.

If the installation refuses to continue and you don't know what component(s) are causing the issue, I'd recommend stripping down the system as far as it goes by unplugging any external devices like scanners, printers, etc, as well as removable PCI cards like sound cards etc.
You may also be able to go into the system BIOS by hitting a key on boot up (typically DEL, F1, F2, F10 or F12 depending on what manufacturer). In the BIOS you can often (temporarily) disable some of the integrated hardware components such as network card, sound card, etc.
!! Just make sure not to disable all your USB ports if you are using a USB keyboard and mouse!! (or you may not be able to turn them back on since the computer wouldn't listen to your keyboard/mouse anymore)

It may just be a matter of getting drivers and load them during install time (Windows can load additional drivers from

steve_ancell(Posted 2015) [#3]
Windows 7 comes in 32bit and 64bit versions. 32bit will run on both 32 and 64 bit architecture, 64bit will only run on 64bit architeture.

Maybe you're trying to install windows 7 64 bit on a 32 bit machine?, that simply won't work!

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#4]
Maybe you're trying to install windows 7 64 bit on a 32 bit machine?, that simply won't work!

IIRC the 64-bit installer will refuse to even start on a 32-bit architecture, while Yue said it fails half-way through the installation.

Yue(Posted 2015) [#5]
The CD that I have Windows 7 has several versions of Windows Lounge , Windows 7 Ultimate , Windows 7 eros etc. X86 64 etc.

Even without installing achievement.

Computdaora resources are 4 gigs of RAM, Intel E7400 duo 2.8 processor.

It will be the CD is damaged ?, it is the only thing I can think of .

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#6]
System Requirements from Microsoft:

•1 gigahertz(GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
•1 gigabyte(GB) RAM(32-bit) or 2 GB RAM(64-bit).
•16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).
•DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Questions:
1. Which GPU(not CPU), does your system have? Is it integrated video or a separate card? What DirectX version is it?
2. How much free disk space do you have?
3. Is your BIOS up to date?
4. Are you attempting an update or clean install? (deleted partitions?)
5. What Filesystem are you using? (NTFS recommended)

Yue(Posted 2015) [#7]
Hi, GPU it's NVidia 9800 GTX 1 Giga Ram.

HardDisk 2, SATA ( 500 Gigas) , IDE old, 80 Gigas.

I am Format Hardisk Setup Windows 7, ...
:(

steve_ancell(Posted 2015) [#8]
You can download a fresh copy over the net, you will need a license key after the 30 day trial though or you will keep getting a nag screen.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#9]
Your specs seem adequate so indeed probably is your CD that is having problems.

As Steve says, but I can't comment here on how to get passed the 30 day trail(I don't want to get banned from here lol ). But I guess most people know as it is fairly easy and not exactly a secret. Google is your friend. ;-)

However you might want to invest in a cheap Win8.x copy for the upgrade to Win10 will be free for a while, after it's launch later this summer.
I would run a trial version first though to see if your system is compatible with it. If it is compatible then install permanently and for testing purposes of your software you can run Win7 in a VMware Player virtual machine.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#10]
However you might want to invest in a cheap Win8.x copy for the upgrade to Win10 will be free for a while, after it's launch later this summer.

That won't be necessary, since windows 7 also qualifies for the free win10 upgrade.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#11]
Oh that's true, forgot. Was thinking about my Vista license that unfortunately does not qualify(thank you MS).