General design query

Community Forums/General Help/General design query

Matty(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hello again,

I'm thinking about one of the features of my game and am a little unsure on what the best way of implementing it is - hopefully some people can provide some ideas.

As part of the game users can launch battles against other players (who they have already agreed to play against/with). These can take place at any time - the players don't all have to be connected at the same time.

A user can be involved in more than one game at a time (of course).

Typically the flow will be player A launches attack, player B receives notification of attack and can download (or auto download) the replay and results to their device and watch at their leisure.

The question I have is:

What is the least intrusive but still useful method of notifying the user of an event in the game - while they are not currently within the game itself?

Possibilities I can think of so far are:

1) Receive an email (undesireable since I do not collect nor wish to have on record any user's email address)

2) Have a news feed in the game itself which the user must enter the game to check from time to time.

3) Display a small widget on the user's home screen (android phone) which displays some message/indicator when an event takes place.

4) Use a spot at the top of the navigation bar to indicate that something has happened.

5) Cause the phone LED light (charging light) to blink 'blue' or similar.

or 6) Wake the user at 2-3am with the sound of klaxons and sirens at full volume before connecting to their bluetooth speaker system and playing the 1812 Overture at full volume throughout their home... ;-)

Any other possibilities?

PhotonTom(Posted 2015) [#2]
Definitely number 6, although not sure why you need to wait until there is an attack in your game to do this, why not just do it randomly at points during day and night :).
If you can't manage that I would recommend having something in game you can check and also the option to have a home screen widget (for more serious players) but make sure your game isn't dependant on the widget, it should be optional.
Also 5 is out of the question as not all users have an LED, and most wont want it blinking for a game.
4 is a possibility but I can't stand games that throw notifications up randomly/clog up navigation bar. (looking at you freemium games, "oh please come back and play me, please, please, ok I'll leave now but I'll pop back up in 5 mins")