What tool to create Youtube vids of your game?

Community Forums/General Help/What tool to create Youtube vids of your game?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi all, was wondering what tool people are using nowadays for creating videos of their games so can be posted on Youtube?

I believe in the past Hypercam was pretty popular.

-Any recommendations?
-Are there any good free tools that do the trick?

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#2]
If you mean to record the screen when you play, i use "Fraps".
If you mean to edit and export the video, i use "Videopad".

Matty(Posted 2015) [#3]
I use ffmpeg for converting raw images into video and vice versa (I also use for all sorts of other media conversions). Its command line only however (which some may see as a plus)

PhotonTom(Posted 2015) [#4]
I've used CamStudio in the past but I only used it for recording windowed applications so I'm not sure if it will work for you

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#5]
there's a number of video capture programs out there -- but for best results, you may want to look at an image capture device such as these:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods.html
e.g. PVR2 Gaming Edition

One advantage is that they off-load the video compression to a hardware device, so capturing the video itself doesn't bog down the computer while you're playing the game... Plus they allow you to mix in microphone audio real-time.

Plus, since they capture whatever the video out of your computer throws at it, it will work with all graphics modes: openGL, DirectX, windows, including xbox one, playstation 4, etc.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#6]
Wow the later is a bit overkill for my current needs, but nevertheless a very good one to keep an eye on for usage in a later stage.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions guys.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#7]
A cheap and nasty method (which I've used) is to record with my phone - in fact I've recorded my mobile games with a separate phone...