PC BSOD

Community Forums/General Help/PC BSOD

Shambler(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi all,

My pc will not boot up, I get a BSOD title CACHE_MANAGER.

I have 2 hard drives, one with Win7 the other with Win8.1 both 64bit.

I select with F12 which one I want to boot up but both fail to boot with the same error, even if I select safe mode it BSODs the same.

I tried booting from windows dvd, but again as soon as it finishes the 'starting windows' logo it crashes the same way.

I've tried removing all usb devices and reseating the RAM, also unplugged each ram stick and tried to boot with just one or the other.

Any ideas?

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#2]
- If you have more than one RAM stick, try removing one to see if you can narrow it down to a bad stick
- alternatively, change the order of the sticks
- try going into the BIOS and set it to failsafe settings (which could decrease the speed of the CPU and/or RAM a bit, but could get things working)
- Can you boot up in SAFE MODE? If so, try it, and perform a checkdisk on your drives.

Shambler(Posted 2015) [#3]
Thanks xlsior, I have tried your suggestions, the result is still the same.

Even safe mode has the same error, as soon as it has loaded the minimum drivers etc. and goes to enter safe mode it BSODs.

Shambler(Posted 2015) [#4]
I've just tried booting with only one drive plugged in as someone on another forum suggested it might be a failing drive and it's alive again!

Running a memory diagnostic while it is sentient :)

PhotonTom(Posted 2015) [#5]
Yeah that is always the best method: remove everything that isn't essential to booting computer and slowly add it back until error returns.
So usually I would remove everything except CPU, RAM, boot drive, and a GPU if there isn't one on motherboard

Shambler(Posted 2015) [#6]
Looks like the SSD with Win7 has failed, system won't boot from that drive or any other if it is plugged in.

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB...checked order, bought in Oct 2013 and the drive comes with a 3 year warranty...RMA time!

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#7]
I've just tried booting with only one drive plugged in as someone on another forum suggested it might be a failing drive and it's alive again!

I'm very surprised that suggestion didn't make it into my post above, because i remember thinking of it as another possible cause. :-?

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB...checked order, bought in Oct 2013 and the drive comes with a 3 year warranty...RMA time!

Just for your consideration: If the drive is starting to flake out, it's possible that data can still be read/recovered. Especially since many vendors send 'refurbished' drives at a discount, do you really want your data to potentially end up in someone else's hands?
creditcard info, social security numbers, old email, ...?

Sometimes it's worth taking the loss just for peace of mind.

Shambler(Posted 2015) [#8]
do you really want your data to potentially end up in someone else's hands?

That's certainly something I should consider, might just buy another drive, Sandisk appear to be more reliable from my initial research.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#9]
That's certainly something I should consider, might just buy another drive, Sandisk appear to be more reliable from my initial research.

Case in point: I bought a refurbed thumbdrive dirt cheap on clearance once.

Out of curiosity, I tried a file recovery tool and was able to undelete a bunch of files from it. (Nothing interesting, but still...)

PhotonTom(Posted 2015) [#10]
We never throw out drives, I've got a stack of old drives in my wardrobe that have become redundant and its very surprising what people leave on their computers and drives.
I've played with many laptops bought from car boot sales (flea markets) and I don't think I've ever had a laptop that the user has taken any steps towards hiding their data (not even formatted them, not that that does anything but at least it hides your files). Its really shocking.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#11]
Keep in mind: How many of those flea market laptops aren't actually sold by the owner, but simply "went missing" when they looked the other way for a sec. The crackhead that stole it won't bother formatting the drive first.

virtlands(Posted 2015) [#12]
Hi Shambler,

Perhaps try this method:

Stroll over to some other PC and Download a (retail) bootable Windows recovery disc -- for Win8.0 or Win8.1 -- (your product key is needed)

>> http://bit.ly/1E46XoM
>> http://bit.ly/1E47w1S
>> http://bit.ly/1E47DKG

Shambler(Posted 2015) [#13]
Thanks virtlands, I'm not sure that would help though?

I have the installation discs for win7 and win8 and I can boot from them but they don't get anywhere near the repair options before the computer crashes.

virtlands(Posted 2015) [#14]
Here's another idea,

(a) Find or buy some external USB drive that is large enough to back up important data...

(b) Download Ubuntu Desktop Live CD -- http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

(c) Boot up your dead Windows machine with that linux CD; Attach the external USB drive.

(d) Use that Linux OS to hunt and peck through your Windows machine,
transferring any precious data you wish from C: drive to external USB drive.

(e) When that is finished, then re-install a fresh copy of Windows.

If that doesn't work, then send reply.