Name change

Community Forums/General Help/Name change

PhotonTom(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi again,
Still thinking about rebranding Photon Game Manager. I've realised that the name isn't very good, most high end gaming products seem to have cool names and I don't think my name quite cuts the mustard. What do you folks think?
I'm also very temped to rebrand to Hydra Game Manager/ Hydra Game Hub. I think most game products tend to be based on ferocious animals and I quite like the mythological Hydra and it fills the ferocious category.
Again what do you think?

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#2]
ignore the name and just complete something :)

there's not a lot of differences from photon game manager to hydra game manager or game hub - they are all a bit of a mouthful.

If you are wanting cool - then start to think simple and catchy - and usually representative.
Unity springs to mind as it is a single word that means uniting all things. And isn't being used by another company.

Looking at hydra = a many-headed serpent/beast in Greek mythology
Does that represent what you are selling?

There are many companies using this as their name, so you would have to be careful not to step on their feet - their teeth may be bigger than yours?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#3]
It's very easy to spend lots of time and energy thinking of unique cool names - and then google searching them all to see if the name is taken. Spend that time on finishing the project with a temporary name instead.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#4]
you know I used to work with someone who always wanted to spend ages thinking up cool names for stuff.....personally I just prefer to do the job/make the product and do it well....

PhotonTom(Posted 2015) [#5]
Well that's the thing. The product is done (although I continuously work on it from time to time) but I've never really marketed it very well (or very much) so before I put the effort into selling it I want to get the branding correct and a good name. Firstly I need to get a good logo but obviously I need to settle on a decent brand name first.

The name that I first chose (the working title) was Photon Game Manager but as the program has gone through several rebuilds from the ground up (V2,V3,V4) using different Blitz products over the years, there are some reviews floating around that give mediocre scores because they are reviewing the free old versions. This is reason 1 why I would like a name change.

Reason 2 is that as Adam said Photon Game Manager is a bit of a mouthful.

I guess it might be wise to rebrand just as 'Photon' to keep my old brand but make it less of a mouthful. I'm mainly posting on here just to see what other people think as I usually make the wrong decisions :)

The only advertising I have done is a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSDIxzU7f8

TL;DR: Product already released but badly advertised. Thinking about name change before putting effort into advertisement.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#6]
Matty, that was probably me ;)

You'll be surprised how many cool names are taken though...Do as I say, not how I do lol...Lesson learnt :)

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#7]
Just keep it what it is but "demote" the Game Manager part to a subtitle. Reduce its prominence in the logo, start referring to it by the simple name only in writing. Later maybe remove it altogether.

Keeping your existing brand if you already have a completed product is likely to be more valuable than any new name. Just shore it up a bit by trimming the fat (in general, good names avoid technical cruft words like "game manager" and are pure abstracts - the technical words contribute absolutely nothing to your image and are pure wasted space).

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2015) [#8]
Unity springs to mind as it is a single word that means uniting all things. And isn't being used by another company.
I can only assume you are taking the piss Adam as nobody could be that ignorant, however even that seems exceptionally mean spirited.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#9]
Haha yeah, uniting all things - except here..Don't mention the Scottish play, I mean Uni...