Help! graphics card doesnt accept new drivers!

Community Forums/General Help/Help! graphics card doesnt accept new drivers!

NotAGamer(Posted 2015) [#1]
the whole story:

i was editing a video presentation when my computer starts to "lag" then it shut it self off. i rebooted it but it halts booting after the windows logo start up... i started to boot in to safe mode and was successful, but my resolution changed from 1028 x 720 to 640 x somthing... so i tried changing it back to 1028 x 720 and restarted the pc. but still, it stops booting after the windows logo and shuts the monitor down but the CPU is running ok... i figured it must be a problem in the "VGA" . . so i booted to safe mode and uninstalled my graphics adapter... after that, my pc successfully booted and i was able to use it, but it uses the generic monitor settings ... i tried updating the graphics card but it returns to the booting halt problem so i decided to just uninstall the "VGA" again.. its functioning but i cant run 3d apps, cant compile b3d projects , keeps on saying "error initializing 3d" . . what should i do.. im stuck in using my graphics with 8 bit setting resolution..

GfK(Posted 2015) [#2]
Sounds like your graphics card could be fried.

Note this could be down to a) bad luck, or b) a failing PSU.

NotAGamer(Posted 2015) [#3]
@Gfk

no fix available? aside from buying a new graphics card?

i think i'll just buy a new CPU... this thing i'm using is pentium 4 2.8 ghz single core.. very old.. 12 - 15 years old? anyway thanks..

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#4]
I doubt it's your CPU, more likely your GPU. Integrated graphics? Check if it's integrated on the mainboard or on a separate video card which can be replaced. Can also be a bad hard drive affecting the gfx driver or Windows corruption(but doubt it).

Also if you suspect software, then you can try a System Restore to an earlier date(when all was still OK), but backup and check hard drive for errors first.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#5]
Before replacing the graphics card :
-i would open the computer and remove the dust inside (be sure to disconnect the power supply cable and the battery before doing that !)
-if the graphics is a separate card (not integrated) i would disconnect it then reconnect it
-disconnect and reconnect the screen
-(wait until the next full moon and give an offering and pray)

NotAGamer(Posted 2015) [#6]
@ Rick Nasher
i also tried doing the system restore thingy, but still, i can only use the generic monitor thing, no 3d acceleration or GPU...

@RemiD

well, good suggestion :) but seems like waiting for the next full moon might be right. haha

thanks for the help guys, i just bought an I7 Cpu.. with 4 GB Radeon GFx card.. :)