Any experience with amazon cloud services?

Community Forums/General Help/Any experience with amazon cloud services?

Matty(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi all.

Because my host doesnt support every feature I need I was thinking I could execute certain parts of my app on something like amazon cloud services. The idea would be to send a block of information to the cloud service which runs a jar file I'd write and then that would in turn generate an output file which gets downloaded by the client device.

Have got this right? Is that possible with the cloud service? Can I run a jar file on there upon receiving an instruction from a website?

It seems reasonable to me but I know very little at this stage about the amazon cloud service.

?

videz(Posted 2015) [#2]
Not particularly cloud, but vps in general. There are cloud services that are limited as well.

If you don't mind the cost then AWS is good but if you have a tight budget then try digital ocean or any other linux vps.

Pretty much you're having your own computer server 24/7 and you can install or do anything with it under their terms. You can even install gui/x server and control it remotely.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#3]
Okay...thanks.

Thing is...I probably don't need an expensive solution....the features I require are fairly basic (since my original shared host provides everything I need....except for the ability to run a jar on the local server)....so all I really want is somewhere to run a jar file and allow download of the output.....

While I'm testing I can probably even host the program - even no my mobile phone - and simply get it to poll my shared host from time to time to see if it needs to run...then generate the file and upload it somewhere....( a <1MB file)

skidracer(Posted 2015) [#4]
I run an EC2 instance on AWS. Biggest thing for me is that I can run it in Sydney (they have over 10 locations to chose from) so ping times are awesome. First year was free now it's costing about NZ$20 per month. Backups I'm still trying to get my head around as my last snapshot seemed to cost about NZ$16.

When I needs something like node.js or ffmpeg installed I just searched for "AWS EC2" howtos and had both compiled and running in the standard linux setup very easily.

I found the security key stuff a bit daunting, but got the hang of it pretty quick, no worse than itunes in complexity. You can set your security zone for plain ssh password authentication, once again, it all seemed pretty straightforward.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#5]
Thanks skidracer...I'll have to look further into it.