Coordination of development process - tips?

Community Forums/General Help/Coordination of development process - tips?

Matty(Posted 2015) [#1]
At present there's 3 main things on my "todo" list re my game...

One of them is working where and how I will hire particular contractors.

I have a version of my design doc hosted online (hidden though) which details the majority of the project.

In short, in order to finish this project I'm hoping to use the services of:

1. 2d interface artist/designer for menus etc. ..someone with Android experience.

2. 3d content producer for spaceships, space environment, some fx textures (particle tex etc)

3. 2d interface elements for 3d environment (hud overlays etc)

4. Musician to produce menu loops and a number of context aware tracks for the 3d environment.

5. Audio technician for fx clips (menu fx, in game fx)

6. Voice acting - a number of pilots for in flight 'battle chatter'

7. Promotional media (app store imagery and trailers etc)

8. Game webpage (functionality is fairly simple...mainly the look and feel I'd be paying for)

9. Marketing....getting it out there etc.

(There are other costs and components as well but these are the main areas I'm considering outsourcing)

As you can see theres a bit more than just hiring an artist.... (bigger project than I've done before on my own)

So...

I find the idea of hiring individual from scattered parts of the world to build this fairly challenging....and very risky.

Ideally I'd like there to be a design studio in my own home town I could pass this all off to to put together and then simply link into my code etc. I'm not sure if any such place exists in Melbourne. ...sure there are graphic design studios etc but their websites seem to indicate a very different clientele than what I am (typically business logos, websites etc)

Ive got an approximate budget....I know hourly rates for contractors generally (in the 1st world) and I have estimated times to put these things together....just not sure how to go about finding people for all of these components.

As I may have mentioned elsewhere I've given myself until June/July to get things ready to actually start hiring....but still exploring where I can find all these people.

Note:some of the roles above potentially overlap.

?

Matty(Posted 2015) [#2]
Note: elance etc doesnt interest me at all....too many separate individuals all located everywhere. ..id prefer an established business to do this. ..

Zethrax(Posted 2015) [#3]
Regarding the audio stuff, if pre-canned audio will do the job then AudioBlocks ( http://www.audioblocks.com/ ) is a site I've been looking at for my own project. Then you've got sites like VoiceBunny ( http://voicebunny.com/ ) for voice acting. You may need to be careful about hiring actual voice actors rather than voice-over/announcer people though, as it's a different skill set.

Mike Bithell (the Thomas Was Alone guy) posted some useful info about hiring voice actors too. http://mikebithell.tumblr.com/post/104997317017/voice-actor-hiring-cheat-sheet

Matty(Posted 2015) [#4]
That voice bunny one gave me a heart attack. .. I typed in '500' seconds scrolled down and got a quote of over $40,000 dollars.... sat there mouth agape for a second...scrolled back up and discovered their input field doesnt work with my phone since it changed the text I entered to some garbage 10+ digit number. .... after playing around with it briefly (had to enter numbers in reverse!!!) Got a more reasonable figure....phew.

degac(Posted 2015) [#5]
one thing: if you add voice to a game, in general you can afford for ONLY one language (just seen on the sites posted above the prices).

For foreign languages listen an english voice could be difficult, and you need always a sub title on screen.
Just consider that many plays games with 'low' volume (as in my case, if I need to wait and I dont' want to hear headphones) so all the costs for voice are - at the end - wasted.

Of course if your main target is mobile device, while on desktop it could be different.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#6]
Reason voice is important is because one of my main target deviced is tv....having pilot chatter etc is pretty essential for this...

degac(Posted 2015) [#7]
Ok, so it's targeted for AndroidTV devices? Any specific device (ie: OUYA) or android mini-pc or whatelse? Just interested because I have a minix device on my TV so...

Matty(Posted 2015) [#8]
It should work on any android powered smart tv with os over sdk 12 (? 4.0?) I will most likely test it on the tvs of the company I work for....I showed a tech demo/early build about a month ago and the possibility of having it pre installed on their tvs from the factory is real....which would be a nice little earner (this is where people complaining mobile dev is a dead end financially need to approach things differently).

I imagine it should work fine on an ouya etc ... the main issue is that nost big name tvs dont allow 3rd party apps.