My friends considering a new laptop - is Windows 7

Community Forums/General Help/My friends considering a new laptop - is Windows 7

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#1]
as stable as XP and more stable than Windows 8.1 - which most stuff probably ships with now anyhow....

Would anyone advocate getting a laptop with Linux instead of Windows?

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#2]
Windows 8.1 is probably as stable if not more so than windows 7 -- the GUI sucks a bit, but you can download classicshell for free (classicshell.net) to make it usable.

Both windows 7 and Windwos 8 are more stable than XP.

Thing to consider: Windows 7 by itself is currently out of the primary support phase, and will only receive updates until january 2020, so has less than 5 years of supported life in it.

That said, both windows 7 and windows 8 are eligible for a free upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out later this year. You may have a harder time finding a -nice- system, with win7 than win8 today, since the 'latest and greatest' moels typically come bundled with the latest windows version.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#3]
free upgrade to windows 10

Nice to know - thanks for sharing ;)

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#4]

Based on personal experience, yes. I would strongly recommend a Chromebook to anyone whose needs are met by one. Even the lower-end ones are very responsive (three second startup? yay).

It is natural to have some concerns going into such a thing about whether it'll actually be of any practical use. Again, in practice, yes. If you're buying the laptop as a secondary/portable computer instead of as a desktop replacement, running native apps really isn't that big a deal. Chrome OS is very capable of handling most laptop-work. (If you're a technically-inclined hacker type, you can also re-enable the ability to install native Linux applications if you really want it, but that's not for casuals.)

The only thing that's disappointed me is that coding isn't easy (you can either code in JS, or use a cloud service: nobody's built a working JS-emulated environment for any languages I like yet).

Also, this thread is in the wrong place.

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#5]

Depends on what you want to do, really -- for most semi-professional use Linux is just fine, but it's definitely a 2nd tier platform when it comes to games. If you're an avid gamer, you really need windows. For everything else, you can make due with Linux.

It's better than windows in some areas, and sucks in others. If you haven't used Linux much, be prepared to have a learning curve, and you'll miss some software suites that you're probably familiar with and may miss when you have to give them up. (e.g. no photoshop, but there are alternatives like Gimp that give you most of the missing functionality)

Given that there rarely is a cost benefit to buying a system without windows, you may want to consider getting a windows box anyway, and install Linux as a dual boot system. That way you get the best of both worlds -- if it turns out that you need windows, it's an option. If it turns out you can get by with just Linux, you can always delete windows down the road.

RGR(Posted 2015) [#6]
And why is this rubbish zero value discussion in USERLIBS?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#7]
a xslior, yeah a Windows box with Linux within a VM might be a way to go - my friend isn't very computer savvy so a Windows box is probably the best advice - cheers.

@RGR - quite simply I was browsing userlibs when I thought of the question - oops. Who made you thread topic police anyway?

RGR(Posted 2015) [#8]
Has nothing to do with *thread topic police*

You're wasting the time of other users. They expect such discussions in General or Off Topic - but not in userlibs.
Someone who wants to get news and possible solutions concerning Userlibs looks here and then must see that he's wasting his time reading that what has nothing to do with userlibs.

quite simply I was browsing userlibs when I thought of the question

Not an intelligent excuse anyway. Will we next read in Programming what you want to buy for food - just because you thought about shopping while you where browsing in Programming?

GfK(Posted 2015) [#9]
If you know Linux, probably. If you don't, and just want to get on with stuff, definitely not.

@RGR - it's clearly been posted in the wrong forum by accident. It happens. Unless you're "mister perfect" and have never made a single mistake in your entire life, then stop being such an arse in this "rubbish zero value discussion".

But whatever, get the hell over yourself.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#10]
I am with RGR on this one, this topic should be in general discussion...

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#11]
It is now XD

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#12]
Wait! Shouldn't this be in General Help?

I couldn't believe this was published in the wrong place, TWICE !

OMG! Ack! etc...

hoyoyo80(Posted 2015) [#13]
Im also have urge to buy new laptop. My eye is set on the amd a10 or fx laptop. but the processing power is questionable.

Kryzon(Posted 2015) [#14]
I want an MSI GP60:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152570

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#15]
Wait! Shouldn't this be in General Help?

I'm with Brucey ;) And yep - it was a simple mistake, and as for RGR's:

Not an intelligent excuse anyway. Will we next read in Programming what you want to buy for food - just because you thought about shopping while you where browsing in Programming?

Not ranting much there then..... If you're going to rant, at least suggest the appropriate forum for it to be 'transferred to'.

Back on topic: @Kryzon, I like the look of your dream laptop, nice specs. Thanks to all who posted helpful comments about the various OS (s).

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#16]

If you're going to rant, at least suggest the appropriate forum for it to be 'transferred to'.

I am with Blitzplotter on this one
http://www.newarteest.com/games/flamewar.html !