Hosting and Database Advice

Community Forums/General Help/Hosting and Database Advice

Matty(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi guys,

I've been working on my project a fair bit recently and have started implementing the database that I'll need as the backend supporting it.

I already have hosting, but during development I've been working on my dev machine at home.

This morning I have uploaded the database to my host (that I've had for a while) and have noticed that it lacks the ability to implement foreign key constraints since the only engine they provide is MyISAM....while I've been working with InnoDB.

One option is to upgrade my hosting plan to use a virtual private server (which they do support InnoDB with) (which would probably be a better option anyway due to the traffic/cpu time etc and management) - of course this is more expensive though.

It makes sense - since this is a fairly major online project - that I'd spend money on quality hosting.

I guess I'm after general advice re: price differences, feature differences - ball park figures as well as any experience you've had with these things.

I noticed on questioning my day-job's IT department that even we only use shared hosting that doesn't provide some of the features I want to make use of but then the nature of the content is very different between what I will provide and what we do every day at work.

A couple of points:

I'm expecting to release this project in the first couple of weeks of December - there's a fair amount of work to go but it is coming together...however I've released something in the past online which (foolishly I must admit) I was using a cheap host who very quickly shut down my account because I used up my entire month's allowance of traffic in less than 8 hours. So.....I want to be sure this doesn't happen - which was a real bummer last time when all of a sudden I noticed activity in my game suddenly ceased (thus losing players as well) -- worse still it happened during the odd hours of the morning so I had no idea about it until I was awake the next day - several hours afterwards....

from Matt

Gabriel(Posted 2015) [#2]
There are a couple of really good VPS providers and a lot of bad ones. KnownHost and LiquidWeb are the ones which come up again and again when people recommend VPS. I went with KnownHost, and I've been with them now for over a year.

It's a huge difference in speed over shared hosting, and their support is really good. I've never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a response, and the only time I ever had any downtime was when GMail decided to file their invoice under Spam and I didn't pay it. Even then, they had it back online in the wee small hours of a Monday morning, as soon as my invoice was paid.

If you're going to use a VPS, I would say the two features you want are support and an SSD. This isn't shared hosting, so you *will* need support at some time, and quality counts. If you're going to pay VPS prices, it doesn't make sense, in my view, to use a hard drive. SSD makes a big difference.

Read around for reviews. I'm sure LiquidWeb and Knownhost aren't the only good services out there, but there sure are a lot of bad ones.

videz(Posted 2015) [#3]
compute your anticipated user per month and the bandwidth you'll be using per update..

VPS won't suffice, use Cloud services so you can scale up your resources along with your demand. All cloud services are pay per usage with a minimum plan.

SSD is a standard nowadays with servers. don't sub without it.

MySQL is a well established DB, or if your into Mongo or Postgre I guess its ok.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#4]
Yeah..I'll be using MySQL - it is just the underlying table engine that will use InnoDB - foreign keys are pretty much vital for my project which MyISAM doesn't support (the table engine that my current host only supplies)

xlsior(Posted 2015) [#5]
SSD is a standard nowadays with servers. don't sub without it.

Common perhaps, but far from standard -- simply because HDDs are much cheaper per GB.

videz(Posted 2015) [#6]

Common perhaps, but far from standard -- simply because HDDs are much cheaper per GB.

I'm not talking about sub par services and regular hosting.. it's Cloud VPS we're talking here.

If you choose a service provider Cloud VPS with HDD only and call it standard? then good luck!