Question about ragdoll

Community Forums/General Help/Question about ragdoll

Yue(Posted 2014) [#1]
I am learning about the ragdoll effect, and I would like to know which technique is used for the initial pose return after making the ragdoll effect, how is that possible?

For example my character jumps from a very high end, but do not waste life in moento ragdoll collision takes place, but what is the technique to make it stand ?, is that possible?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2014) [#2]
Google something like 'hitman verlet paper'. There's a good, detailed paper on techniques for this kind of thing.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#3]
but what is the technique to make it stand ?, is that possible?

I've never done anything with ragdolls (or 3D for that matter), but I'd think you should be able to "turn off" the gravity unless you know you are in a location where you know you should be falling?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#4]
What i would do :
Create 4 animations to get up :
one where character is on the ground on the front side and get up
one where character is on the ground on the back side and get up
one where character is on the ground on the left side and get up
one where character is on the ground on the right side and get up

once the character has fallen with the ragdoll effect, determine what is the orientation of the character comparing to the ground. (front, back, left, right)
then capture each joint position/orientation with setanimkey(), this is the firstpose of the temporary animation to put the joints at the correct position/orientation
then use a hidden skeleton to set the pose to the firstpose of the animation to getup
then capture each joint position/orientation with setanimkey(), this is the lastpose of the temporary animation to put the joints at the correct position/orientation
then save this temporary animation with addanimseq()
then play this temporary animation to to put the joints at the correct position/orientation
then play the animation to get up
then delete the temporary animation

this should work but is it fast enough to capture 2 poses and to save an animation ? Only one way to know...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#5]
Thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking if it is possible to record the position of the bones when you are making the ragdoll, and later release it as an animation it backwards or reverse.