Use of different collision groups ?

Community Forums/General Help/Use of different collision groups ?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello,

Can you please give me some examples where you have used or you would use different collision groups in a game ?

For now i have only tried to create exploration/action/combat games or platform games or racing games and i have never really needed different collision groups :

To detect an obstacle at down or at up i use linepick

To detect an obstacle at front, at back, at left, at right, at frontleft, at frontright, at backleft, at backright, i use either colliders (turningmoving) and collidables (static) with blitz3d collision system or with a distance check then meshesintersect check.

For an exploration/action/combat game or for a platform game :
The terrains, floors, walls, ceilings, sculptures, furnitures, containers, rocks, plants, are static and always need to be considered as obstacles
The characters are turningmoving and always need to consider all the obstacles (near enough)
The projectiles are turningmoving and always need to consider all the obstacles (near enough)
The weapons are turningmoving and always need to consider all the obstacles (near enough)
In this case it may be useful to not detect collision between a projectile and a weapon or vice versa.

For a racing game :
The terrains, roads, floors, walls, ceilings, sculptures, rocks, plants, checkpoints, are static and always need to be considered as obstacles
The vehicles are turningmoving and always need to consider all the obstacles (near enough), even if the vehicles must be able to go through checkpoints without being stopped.

I use NameEntity() and then EntityName() to determine in which list a collidable is.

How have you or would you use different collision groups ?
Thanks,