Free ISO creator anywhere?

Community Forums/General Help/Free ISO creator anywhere?

Tricky(Posted 2014) [#1]
My current project "The Secrets of Dyrt" (http://dyrt.sourceforge.net) was written in a way that should allow me to distribute the game (once it's finished that is) on CD-ROM and playable from it.

Of course (especially if I got the believe Apple) CD-ROM is a dying race, but as long as it's not completely dead I think I should give the people who still want it on CD-ROM what they want.

And thus, I was looking for a free tool which I can use to put all files the way they got to be into an .ISO file. Well, I've tried to google on this with many sorts of keywords, but really, all that pops up in my results are programs to burn already existing .ISO files onto a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM. I don't find any which actually allow me to create one.

As my primary system is Mac (Mountain Lion) I did take a look in Disk Utility but all it offers is .cdr and I'm not quite sure if that is the right way to go. I did work with some tools in the past that did not support that format. This was quite odd to me as I know OS X can mount .ISO files as a virtual disk drive.

After looking a long while I found IsoCreator on Sourceforge for Windows and I tried this out in VirtualBox (running Windows 7), but the program refuses to work. I can configure it all out just fine, but on the moment I click on the button to create the .ISO it only pops up the most ridiculous errors, so that option was soon void.
(I really hope this is not due to the fact I have to use N: and I: for drive letters as "fake" network drives that actually represent my actual real drives in Mac, as the virtual C-Drive I have in my VM was made just big enough to contain Win7 without popping up errors and not that much bigger).

So my question is, do you know a good (free) tool which can do this for me. Preferably for Mac, but if you only know one for Windows, it's fine with me as long as it can run on a VM just fine. If there is a feature in OS X itself for this I didn't find (I'm always amazed what I find in OS X when it comes to handy features I didn't know) it would be really helpful too. :)

GfK(Posted 2014) [#2]
https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home (Windows only, but try it in virtualbox anyway).

Tricky(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks a lot man.... It does do what it has to. I also mounted the test ISO in OS X to see if it could be read properly and it does.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#4]
Another: http://www.imgburn.com/

Derron(Posted 2014) [#5]
hdiutil makehybrid -o ~/path/to/image.iso ~/path/to/convert/folder -iso 

bye
Ron

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#6]
There are four ways on a OSX to create a iso image.
1) Using Disk Utility to create a .cdr image and renaming the extension to iso.
2) Use a third party tool like Roxio Toast. Which seems to the most popular for OSX. But you should check that it is compatible with your version of OSX.
3) hdiutil command line tool (as Derron mentioned). Click the link to see the manual page.
4) dd is a tool well know to system administrators on Linux and is available on OS X. It's a low level tool and should not be used by the inexperienced. Click the link to see the manual page.