thoughts on magic in rpg

Community Forums/General Help/thoughts on magic in rpg

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#1]
I'm working on an rpg and wondered what your thoughts are re magic and how it works.

my thoughts are:
- two types of magic
1. ranged magic, which can be cast at a distance
2. immediate magic, which is cast from the user

use:
1. ranged magic. this would be available if you are holding a wand/staff
point it in the direction you want
press the magic key - the magic is cast in that direction
wand/staff now charges for next cast. you can't cast this magic until it is recharged

2. immediate magic. this would be a spell/book and emanates from you
press the magic key, the spell charges and is cast on release. if you release before spell has charged then it will be either a lesser spell or not cast

What are your thoughts on this??

Krischan(Posted 2014) [#2]
3. special magic weapons, for example a fire sword or a hammer with lightning strike
4. transformation magic, become an animal or a rat for a limited amount of time to reach secret places which are not accessible as a human
5. automatic mana regeneration feature for higher levels that you don't need to drink mana potions all the time

For use think about scrolls (if the hero is a beginner) you can find or buy from a dealer or runes which you can only use when he is more avanced. Or crafting your own magic stuff or improve weapons with magic emeralds like in Torchlight.

That's what I liked in the many RPGs I played.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#3]
great suggestions -i like the thought of transformation :)

fox95871(Posted 2014) [#4]
Any magic with a bit of plausibility to it, even outright possibility intrigues me more than some unexplained lightshow. Even just the way Strago always mumbles a spell for a few seconds each time makes you think. Is he saying "Oh great Ifrit grant me your power," or is it maybe more like programming?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#5]
ok, update to this one - after a whole load of thought

magic comes in two types:
- castable magic, which you learn from picking up lost spell pages. currently i've got 18 different spells. you select which spell and cast - if there is an enemy nearby then the spell will work (using mana)

- invocation - collect 6 different types of runes, pick which runes to use, and begin invocating. These are much more powerful and take time to charge and much more mana

all is accessed from a single book ui. Press fire3 (or joy button 3, or mouse the icon) brings up the open book. Spells are listed as they are picked up.
Runes have a 6 place rune setting on one page and the available runs on the other. Just click/mouse/joystick to select and you're done

All spell magic completely operational, just working on the photoshop ui for the runes. But simple is the keyword here :)