Default location for an import directory

Community Forums/General Help/Default location for an import directory

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

The program I am working on requires a couple of bespoke files to be imported from an external piece of software.

Initially, I was experiencing issues whereby I couldn't write to the Program Files directory, therefore I elected for using the c:\Program Data\{Program}\Import path.

Thing is, you cannot navigate to the C:\Program Data folder via Windows Explorer without rattling it into the path area of Windows Explorer.

I'm inclined to populate the default MY Docs area with a {Importer} directory and get the application to point there for the bespoke files.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

GfK(Posted 2014) [#2]
Thing is, you cannot navigate to the C:\Program Data folder via Windows Explorer without rattling it into the path area of Windows Explorer.
In folder view options, enable "show hidden files and folders". Exactly *how* you do that, varies slightly from one version of Windows to another. I'm sure google can help you there.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#3]
In folder view options, enable "show hidden files and folders". Exactly *how* you do that, varies slightly from one version of Windows to another. I'm sure google can help you there.

Thanks for the advice GfK, but my goal is to make it as easy as possible for end-users to navigate to the import folders, hence my thoughts about using the My Docs directory - solely for the IMPORT folders. That way, end users are less likely to get all intrigued about associated files in the ProgramData dirdectory.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#4]
Ah, you didn't say that! Thought it was something for your own use.

In that case your best option is probably to go the "My Documents" route. Everybody knows where that is.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#5]
Cheers, thanks for the feedback - its appreciated! [EDIT] got the Importer reading from My Docs, which is nice.