Is this PC good value?

Community Forums/General Help/Is this PC good value?

big10p(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi

I'm looking to get a cheap mini/desktop PC but I'm hopelessly out of date as far as hardware specs go, particularly graphics cards. I'm considering this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/616483-dell-optiplex-3020-sff-desktop-3020-5443

Does it sound like good value? If not, any better recommendations (in the UK)?

It's actually a bit more money than I wanted to spend as this PC will only be used for a single, dedicated task. However, that task requires moderate processing power, and the ability to run pixel shaders (I don't need 3D performance).

Thanks in advance!

[edit]I just checked the link I posted worked only to find that PC has gone up! It was £384 earlier! WTF?!

GfK(Posted 2014) [#2]
Dare I say, build your own? That way you get exactly what you want. 4GB RAM is the bare minimum nowadays.

What's the "dedicated task" you're going to be using it for?

[edit] CCL seem to have quite a lot of good deals if you're insistent on an "off-the-shelf" system. Even more so if you don't mind going the AMD route.

big10p(Posted 2014) [#3]
Dare I say, build your own? That way you get exactly what you want. 4GB RAM is the bare minimum nowadays.
I'd prefer not to, TBH. It's been ages since I built my own and, as I say, I'm not up to date with latest hardware. :)

What's the "dedicated task" you're going to be using it for?
It's for a dedicated MAME/emulation arcade setup. As such, I can't justify spending a fortune on it. And before anyone suggests using a Raspberry Pi or something instead, I need to run it on PC as I need far more processing power, and pixel shader support. :)

CCL seem to have quite a lot of good deals if you're insistent on an "off-the-shelf" system. Even more so if you don't mind going the AMD route.
Ok, I'll have a butchers at CCL, thanks. I've been advised to go with intel though, as they kick AMD's butt as far as MAME goes, apparently.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#4]
I don't understand why running 20-year old games in an emulator is so CPU-hungry?

big10p(Posted 2014) [#5]
I don't understand why running 20-year old games in an emulator is so CPU-hungry?
It's mainly for the newer games (some in 3D) and badly optimized game drivers, I think. Some games had dual 16bit processors and, for some reason, emulating the sound chips seems to be processor hungry, apparently.

BTW, wow@CCL. Good prices there! ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#6]
I'd prefer not to, TBH. It's been ages since I built my own and, as I say, I'm not up to date with latest hardware. :)
I'm with you there, put the risk of frying a graphics card (or whatever) with static electricity in the hands of a retailer.

I got a great (custom) desktop that didn't break the bank from Ginger computing 3 or 4 years ago and it still cuts the mustard:

http://www.ginger6.com/

okee(Posted 2014) [#7]
I've found zoostorm desktops to be pretty good
You can buy with or without OS

http://www.dabs.com/products/zoostorm-intel-core-i3-3240-4gb-500gb-no-os-8W6X.html?refs=50977&src=3

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#8]
I don't know about value, but two things:
It appears to have an Intel 4400 grapics, which is on-board GFX and not a discrete GPU.

the intel 4400 isn;t anything special:
Here's a list of benchmarks of 'mid range GPU's:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_range_gpus.html
The 4400 scores in the middle of the mid-range pack, with a mark of 528.
High-end video cards can score ten times that.

That said, it's probably plenty for casual games, but nothing high-end.

Overall, the dell 30x0 series isn't bad, but they do have the same issue most of the other dell computers have: very weak power supplies -- most likely it will be 255W, which means that you can forget about most video cards upgrades because they'll require more juice than that.

On the plus side: they tend to be well made, tend to be quiet, and fairly reliable.

Panno(Posted 2014) [#9]
this pc is lame and overpriced.

big10p(Posted 2014) [#10]
After some further thinking and research about my needs, I decided against the Dell. Ordered one with a discrete graphics card from CCL, instead. :)

Cheers all!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2014) [#11]
I built a PC recently but it was more because I fancied a little project. I don't think you save much if anything building your own these days though, especially if you need to buy Windows. Ginger6 looks good.

Shambler(Posted 2014) [#12]
My last 2 upgraded systems have come from Novatech

Example

I've been very happy with both, I just buy a barebones system and then add whatever drives/graphics card I want or even use my old drives if they aren't too old.

big10p(Posted 2014) [#13]
Yep, there are some good retailers about. Not heard on ginger6 before, though.

I always get carried away and end up spending way more than I'd planned. I suck at sticking to a budget! :P

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#14]

In general it's not, my Raspberry pi will run everything up to Street Fighter 2 Turbo (using MAME 4 All version). Although it needs a little over clocking for that game or the sound suffers and is clearly struggling a bit. Other titles no problem, although big10p seems to be talking about more recent titles.

It's for a dedicated MAME/emulation arcade setup.

Haha, somebodies been spurred on by Neuro and his cab :)

big10p(Posted 2014) [#15]
although big10p seems to be talking about more recent titles.
Actually, I rarely play anything newer than, say, Metal Slug. However, some games are still WIP, I think, and are currently un-optomized so require more CPU grunt. It's probably down to the underlying hardware of the original arcade game, too. If it's just using a single z80, then no problem. :)

HLSL shaders have an obvious hit on performance, but that's obviously down to the GPU. However, games are playable using them on my old laptop, which I didn't even know supported shaders! :P

After seeing shaders in action, mimicking the crapness of the old arcade monitors so accurately, I just have to have them now. They even mimick the screen curvature. It just makes things so much more authentic to old fart like me, needing a hit of nostalgia. :D Everything looks way too crisp and blocky on a modern LCD monitor, without them.

Haha, somebodies been spurred on by Neuro and his cab :)
Kinda, although I've always wanted a cab. ;) Just have to stick with my arcade controller, for now.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#16]

some games are still WIP, I think, and are currently un-optomized so require more CPU grunt.

I just use the rasp for MAME stuff - but it has an optimized version for it called MAME 4 All.

After seeing shaders in action, mimicking the crapness of the old arcade monitors so accurately, I just have to have them now. They even mimick the screen curvature. It just makes things so much more authentic to old fart like me, needing a hit of nostalgia. :D Everything looks way too crisp and blocky on a modern LCD monitor, without them.

lol, sounds cool to an old fart like me too haha...although having the anti-aliasing turned on will do me...Unless I was eyeing a cab - then I'd be looking at authentic qualities.

fox95871(Posted 2014) [#17]
I got a Dell 660s and I'm extremely happy with it. I had to get a separate video card to make it to do 3d, but I don't care. They're also nearing the end of their run at Best buy, so you should be able to can get one extremely cheap right now. Considering it's already an economy computer, you might even end up spending less than 300 dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAfK2zdSxBk

big10p(Posted 2014) [#18]
I got a Dell 660s and I'm extremely happy with it. I had to get a separate video card to make it to do 3d, but I don't care. They're also nearing the end of their run at Best buy, so you should be able to can get one extremely cheap right now. Considering it's already an economy computer, you might even end up spending less than 300 dollars.

Too late, I've already bought a PC from CCL and am very happy with it so far, which is more than can be said for the crap ASUS monitor I got from Amazon. Exchanged it for a Samsung and all is well, now. :)