Monitor picture quality question

Community Forums/General Help/Monitor picture quality question

big10p(Posted 2014) [#1]
I may be getting a new monitor with HDMI input. Can I expect just as good a picture using HDMI as VGA/DVI, or is it likely to be inferior in some way?

Cheers!

GfK(Posted 2014) [#2]
I'm using HDMI. Looks just as good, to me. Plus HDMI carries sound whereas VGA/DVI don't. so that's one less cable that has to go down the back of your PC (assuming your monitor has an audio out but then, why wouldn't it?).

big10p(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yeah, the sound thing is one of the reasons I want to use HDMI - I want to bin my desktop speakers, freeing up desk space and a plug socket. I only use sound when watching a video, or something. 99% of the time I have my speakers switched off.

Thanks, GfK.

Yan(Posted 2014) [#4]
If your HDMI cable is giving the same video quality as VGA, then something is *very* wrong.

As far as the video signal goes though, HDMI is the same as DVI.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#5]
HDMI is electrically identical to DVI, just with a different formfactor (plus some extra lines to allow sound over the same cable too).

You will not be able to see any difference between DVI and HDMI, but the different between that and VGA is often quite noticable: VGA being an analog signal, it will get fuzzy on longer cables due to electric/magnetic interference. DVI/HDMI are digital, and you either get 100% or 0% of the signal, no in-between.

Calibrator(Posted 2014) [#6]
> HDMI is electrically identical to DVI, just with a different formfactor (plus some extra lines to allow sound over the same cable too).

That's a bit simplified - there are indeed differences that may apply in some cases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_visual_interface#DVI_and_HDMI_compatibility

> You will not be able to see any difference between DVI and HDMI, but the different between that and VGA is often quite noticable: VGA being an analog signal, it will get fuzzy on longer cables due to electric/magnetic interference. DVI/HDMI are digital, and you either get 100% or 0% of the signal, no in-between.

You *can* get problems with long digital cables, too (or you would have invented the perpetuum mobile...).