Lotus particle system.

Community Forums/General Help/Lotus particle system.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#1]

Hi I am trying to implement in my project using Lotus particle system, however I think this not being very good and away from what you should look like.

I need to look that up dust or dirt tires, anyone help me to better code.

SetEmitterSize EmisorTierra%,10,10,10
SetEmitterViewMode EmisorTierra%,1
SetEmitterVelocity EmisorTierra%,0,2,0
SetEmitterEmissionRate EmisorTierra%,6
SetEmitterWaitSpan  EmisorTierra%,2,1
SetEmitterLifespan EmisorTierra%,10,0,1,0
SetEmitterVelocityJitter EmisorTierra%,1,1,1,1,0
SetEmitterColor  EmisorTierra%,255,184,149
SetEmitterGravityJitter EmisorTierra%,.5,0,1
SetEmitterGravity EmisorTierra%,0
SetEmitterWeight EmisorTierra%,1
SetEmitterBounce EmisorTierra%,-2,1

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
As it seems to be a "visual" problem (particles seem to move as they should) - adjust the startAlpha, alphaDecay (or how they call it), fadingSpeed ...
another thing: your "smoke" should be a alpha'ed image too (already looking like dust with more or less transparency). Using a fully opaque texture with "fading out"-borders will result in what you see in your screenshot.

have a look on google images "smoke texture png".
forum does not like this link to get "clickable" so in printable form:
https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=smoke%20texture&tbs=imgo:1#q=smoke+texture+png&safe=off&tbm=isch

Examples then are:

(see how it mixes with the background)

If you only find "jpegs", they do not contain alphas, they need to be drawn in a "multiplied" way - in BlitzMax this is something like Lightblend/shadeblend.

Another tipp: The more details a texture has, the more likely people recognize "patterns" which makes things look artificial. For example the dust then looks as if it "restarts" every 5 pixels.

bye
Ron

Yue(Posted 2014) [#3]
Derron Hello friend, I have used the new texture you put into the post, and apparently think it looks better. What do you think?

Derron(Posted 2014) [#4]
For me it looks to "puffy" ... just to "circular" ... maybe you find a texture with more variations - or if you want: use "multiple textures" - so it adds more variation.
Also play with random start values - so alpha varies from 0.2-0.5 instead of 0.5 each time. So it looks more "random", more "natural".

All in all I think you now know what might improve the look of the particles.

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#5]
you - add some noise to the image used for the particles, also use more alpha. :)

GfK(Posted 2014) [#6]
The Spirit rover won't throw up any dust whatsoever. Its maximum speed is 1km every five hours.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#7]
Gfx oO??? 1 K... hour.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#8]
@public forum enemy 1 :D

gravity on mars is 0.32*9.81m/sē (excuse if you live in an area with a varying gravity ;D).

So you need less "energy" to move dust particles. Means: they move a bit different than on earth - like "dazzled" or "slowed down".

The "dust" might not be that puffy, but if some "small stones" are thrown through the air when moving - I think that is ok (eg. tires blocked for 100ms - so next movement is full of energy throwing some pebbles for 10cm).

I accept slight "movement"-effects more than I accept dogs moving in circles to grow plants (aka YUEs tries are more exciting than the one of xylvan).

bye
Ron

Yue(Posted 2014) [#9]
I just want to make a game and not a real simulator mars :S

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#10]
Yue>>I like the render, you are making progress, well done :)

What is the effect which makes the fog "glow" on the screenshots in the post #3 ? Is it bloom ? Is it the same effect you used for the sky in your previous game ?

Yue(Posted 2014) [#11]
Yes, it's Glow...

Now I'm trying to do the tracks in the Martian soil, and trying to understand which is interpolicacion with RenderWorld CaptureWorld and, you know what that is?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#12]

trying to understand which is interpolicacion with RenderWorld CaptureWorld and, you know what that is?

I don't understand what you mean, please rephrase.

FBEpyon(Posted 2014) [#13]
Interpolation?

Is this what you are talking about YUE?

Yue(Posted 2014) [#14]
Hi, is what is used with CaptureWorld and RenderWorld [tween] demo of the castle, in which case I noticed that if I use that although the frame rate is much lower, the continuous application being fluent.

The question is if it works for you in more faster than my machine, no fence so fast the application.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#15]
Oh i see you want to have the same speed on all machines.
One way to do it is like this : http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2916