Texture for robot?

Community Forums/General Help/Texture for robot?

Yue(Posted 2014) [#1]
Anyone know where I can get some textures for the robot wheels opportunity, I managed to make the model, but I suck at 2D design, and can not find a texture that is somewhat similar.

A greeting.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#2]
heres a closeup of the wheel

closeup of the outside

the end

and another

Yue(Posted 2014) [#3]

Thanks friend. Do you advise me for the rest of the robot as a solar panel and stuff like that?

The rim I think it looks better, but not perfect.

Greetings.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#4]
Depending on the mapping the outside of the wheel texture should be like

======
######
######
######
======

When used with "normal mapping" or "bump mapping" you will create the look of the "bumps" every 5 cm (when your polygons end)

like the one in the middle of this pic linked by AdamStrange:

For solar panels: use a solar panel texture - and if your model does not have enough details (metal bones) you will have to draw them on the texture too.

Pay attention to methods like baking textures: you create a high res model and bake the details into a texture (google for it - there are some blender tutorials for this topic).

bye
Ron

Yue(Posted 2014) [#5]
I'm already bored of this, I guess I never will finish in making a video game. But at least every time I try learn something.

The rim and its texture is pesima from my point of view ... and I think no more of the other textures I have a headach.

Edit:

Derron(Posted 2014) [#6]
Of course you could add some "dirt splashes/splits" to the tires. I liked the approach of your first image, while the colors of the "edit picture" are more realistic for "rubber". So maybe add these "fake light/shadow"-colors in a not so rich in contrast style (darker "white", brighter "black").

Concerning "getting tired" I know that work sometimes is tedious and boring. As it is your hobby project: feel free to do something else (another part of your game) or even do other computer work (further improve 3d modelling, designing GUIs, playing around..).

bye
Ron

Yue(Posted 2014) [#7]
I'm looking for a texture for the solar panel, but can not find and now I only have this, anyone know of a similar texture to put the robot?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#8]
here ya go :)

That is the topside, the bottom does not have the tiny panels as shown here:

Also here are some other renders showing other parts of the rover:

Keep up the great work Yue. 3d rendering/texturing is a complex thing. But once you learn how to do it, it becomes easy ;)

Yue(Posted 2014) [#9]
@AdamStrange Thanks you. =)
is not perfect but I think it looks better.

The bottom seems to be cooking foil, but gold.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#10]
:D

Yue(Posted 2014) [#11]
Finish.

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#12]
With that lighting and texturing, the model looks very good.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#13]
@Kryzon : Thanks You.