GIMP - changes to how it saves bmp files

Community Forums/General Help/GIMP - changes to how it saves bmp files

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I am using a later version of GIMP whereby to save as a BMP format you have to use an 'export' function instead of a simple save then changing the file extension.

I have a bmp file that I use as a texture for a b3d entity I put together in Ultimate Unwrap.

Within an older version of Gimp, I could re-save the .bmp images and the modified bmp images would still be associated with the b3d entity.

However, with the recent version of GIMP, it is modifying some attribute which prevents the image being associated/applied to the B3D entity. Anyone else experienced this?

Am tempted to open up my Ultimate Unwrap and associate a different image with the B3D entity, or possibly even something less convoluted to apply the texture to the b3d entity I have created.

[EDIT] Microsoft Paint doesn't modify the bmp filetype, GIMP seems to force you to save as the XCF format instead of the native format of the image you opened. Microsoft Paint for me then.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#2]
I was just exporting a BMP from GIMP and noticed there's a Compatibility Options drop-down in the save dialog.

If you open it up and hover over the "Do not write color space information" box, it says some applications may not be able to read unless you check the box, which is unchecked by default (ie. potentially incompatible) -- maybe try that?