My Laptop is Dead !

Community Forums/General Help/My Laptop is Dead !

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#1]
ASUS G73j laptop is dead as when I try switch the power on and wont come on ! :-(

I had a good 3 years of it on gaming laptop :-)

I think I should unplug off power main then open the laptop to have good look inside(of course I will put picture up on here if you want to see it)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
Had same problem with my Lenovo. Dead motherboard.

MCP(Posted 2013) [#3]
Try replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It worked for me.

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#4]
Replacing/checking the battery is a good tip.

What happens when you switch the power on? Does the power indicator LED lighten up? Or no reaction at all?
It could be a "only" defective switch - but that's unlikely.

Before you open the laptop you should no only unplug the power but also remove the battery - and then attempt to start the laptop to get rid of the stored power (if any) in the capacitors.
Make sure you are grounded before you touch anything inside so that you don't damage anything with static discharges.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#5]
thanks guys for tips or two :)

It was dusty and hence why I clean it.

I am glad it is working :-D

I have no plan to upgrade my computer apart from Ram(which I will upgrade to 8GB Ram in This Jan!)

So I will get new Computer say late 2015 or early 2016

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#6]
GfK: Was your Lenovo an IdeaPad or a ThnkPad? How long did it last before the motherboard died? I am asking because Lenovo is the brand I am considering going with for a new laptop.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#7]
GfK?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#8]
Oh hello. It was a Thinkpad Edge E520. It was about 18 months old and out of warranty when it broke. Turned out to be a fault known to Lenovo, and they replaced the motherboard for me. [edit] From posting it to them, it was back here and fully working in under a week.

In the meantime I went out and bought a Lenovo Ideapad G580 which I'm also happy with.

My only gripe with both is that the hard drives seem to be pretty slow so you might want to swap them out for an SSD. My G580 has a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM, can't remember what the E520 had originally.

[edit] I should probably take that back. I have SSDs in my main PC, so it stands to reason that any HDD is going to feel horribly slow by comparison. In truth it probably isn't any slower than any other PC that uses HDDs.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#9]
Egads! 18 months? So much for Thinkpads being made better and lasting longer than the Ideapads.

One other question for you. How do you like the keyboards on the Thinkpad and Ideapad "action" wise, for typing code and such?

Thank you in advance.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#10]
In fairness it was a known motherboard fault. Other than that, it hasn't skipped a beat.

As for keyboards, there's not an awful lot in it. It's a silly reason but I prefer the Ideapad keyboard. The Thinkpad keyboard function keys have their 'secondary' function (volume, brightness etc) printed in white, while the function key numbers themselves are printed in red. For this reason you can barely see them.

The Ideapad keys are the other way around, and the red is a bit more "pink" so you can still read it.

I don't know if all Thinkpad/Ideapad keyboards are like that, but it's maybe something to watch out for.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#11]
Thank you again GfK.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#12]
GaryV>>I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad E325 on July 2012. It is still working properly up until now. I am using it to type this message.
2 minor things that i dislike about it :
->The "bloatware" which is preinstalled and i had to remove/desactivate
->The microphone and the speaker use the same port, so i had to buy this adaptator :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-3-5mm-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1388684701&sr=8-6&keywords=microphone+speaker+adaptor

Else i like it. and i hope that it will last at least 5 years.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#13]
Thanks. I did order a Thinkpad, but I regret only ordering a dual core instead of a quad core. Quad core was slower clock speed though, so I went with the dual core. Having second thoughts now, but the dual core should be easier on batteries. Kinda pros and cons to both options...

Shovelware is always a problem with any PC. The first thing I always do is reformat the drive and reinstall Windows.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#14]
Unless you're running a lot of apps that actually utilise a multi-core CPU (and I'd guess you probably aren't), I think you've made the right choice.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#15]
Sometimes I will do some audio processing or video processing, but my core two duo has been doing the job well, so a dual core with a much faster clock speed should help. If anything, I will add some more memory since I will likely be running a 64-bit OS from now on. 4GB of RAM just doesn't seem right for a 64-bit OS.

Imperium(Posted 2014) [#16]
You really should have 8 gigs at minimum to really take advantage of a 64bit OS. Ram is so cheap these days that should be the standard. A 64bit OS is a bit heavier than a 32bit in how it handles memory so your best bet would be up it to 8 gigs.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#17]
Depending on what you're doing, the difference between 8Gb and 16GB can also be very noticable. Beyond that, not so much yet.

Anyway, as far as power efficiency is concerned: The number of cores alone doesn't really tlel you much there -- there's a big difference between sandy bridge vs ivy bridge architecture, etc. Newer architectures tend to take less power per clock cycle due to further miniaturization, etc. Go get a ballpark idea of the power usage of an intel CPU, look at the 'Max TDP' (Thermal Design Power) value on the spec sheet -- it represents 'the near maximum power a CPU can draw for a significant period while running commercially available software'. Lower TDP = more less power usage.