Alternatives for Camstudio

Community Forums/General Help/Alternatives for Camstudio

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#1]
A while ago I used Camstudio to create 'video' captures - is anyone aware of alternatives that they'd recommend, cheers.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
Can't really go wrong with Fraps.

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#3]
I would recommend Elgato Game Capture HD. A little USB box which creates lagfree (!) MP4 streams (A/V) up to HD resolution, HDMI+Composite input. I could even record my old VHS tapes with it.

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#4]
I would recommend Elgato Game Capture HD. A little USB box which creates lagfree (!) MP4 streams up to HD resolution, HDMI+Composite input. I could even record my old VHS tapes with it.

Demo record direct from Blitzmax to HDMI:

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks for the suggestions folks, will try them today.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2013) [#6]
Yeah cam studio is really bad these days.

Had the same question 1 month ago. I was lucky I got a AMD processer and raedon gfx card. With them you can download + install MSI afterburner. MSI afterburner is free software support for your gfx card. One of the features is full video capture.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#7]
Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is good and it's free.

Yan(Posted 2013) [#8]
Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is good and it's free.
Although, as it's intended for live streaming, it's extremely limited on the encoding front and a little fiddly to setup. However, I've found it to be rock solid in use.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#9]
Yeah, what happened to CamStudio?!? I installed in Nov and it installed a lot of other stuff I didn't want!!

big10p(Posted 2014) [#10]
Although, as it's intended for live streaming, it's extremely limited on the encoding front and a little fiddly to setup. However, I've found it to be rock solid in use.
Encoding probably is a bit basic, but I just needed it for a YouTube video, which it was fine for (as i remember - think YouTube re-encode vids as required, anyway). I actually found it to be the most intuitive to use. It's just down to personal preference though, I guess. :)

John G(Posted 2014) [#11]
Yeah, what happened to CamStudio?!? I installed in Nov and it installed a lot of other stuff I didn't want!!

Danger! Did the same in Dec. Still picking crud out of all browsers. Free? Not!