No bootable device. please insert bootable disc

Community Forums/General Help/No bootable device. please insert bootable disc

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#1]
I recently "grew" my mac computer's osx partition and am getting this error when I try to boot back into windows using boot camp. I am using my crappy old cell phone to get on line atm. found video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D4C-A-qIrk, but can't watch it because phone is too "basic". Someone please help me or tell me what the video claims the solution is?
thanks!

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
No idea about mac and can't see the video, but...

Under windows itself, the most likely fix would be to boot from the windows install DVD, and tell it to repair your windows install. That should get the windows boot loader back in working fashion.
(No idea if there's anything special you may need to do to prevent it from waltzing over your Mac's bootloader, though. Windows doesn't play nice with 3rd party operating systems)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#3]
I was able to access the partition through OSX. copied my files over to mac os and deleted the windows partition. Not going to bother reinstalling because bought the upgrade dvd meaning I would have to install windows 7, then 8, then 8.1 again. Just going to use my XP vm. thanks for your advice xlsior. :-)

*(Posted 2013) [#4]
Basically the boot sector is either missing or corrupt so the machine cant find it. It sounds like something has corrupted it for ya :/

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Bootcamp strikes again. Every time I've attempted to use it, it's done this. Whether it's immediately, or after a few weeks for no apparent reason, it always screws the system up.

I use rEFIt now.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#6]
or even the currently maintained fork called rEFInd.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
Or that^^. I'm actually using rEFIt because that's what somebody recommended when I had the exact same problem with Bootcrap, probably two years ago now. It still works today so I've had no need to update/change.