What to have in a game

Community Forums/General Help/What to have in a game

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#1]
OK, I'm working on my game. Its a sort of defender crossed with zarch.

Here's what I've got so far:
Landscape
enemies, both static on the ground and in the air. Swarmers, things that drop bombs and covert the landscape, etc
I've got mines that can't be blown up and they spawn other enemies if hit

Gameplay wise it can be a number of things, but two main concepts are:
kill the sentinels before they get infected
find the bonus things
kill the alien horde

there are items on the ground that if get infected, spawn bombs that spread the infection.

What would people like to see, gameplay, etc?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#2]
Make the ship harder to control. I liked your demo but the ship was too floaty. Zarch had it about right- tricky enough to make it interesting but not too fiddly.

Split it into levels- doesn't necessarily need a new terrain each time, but there should be some main bosses that arrive in order as each is killed alongside the general spawners.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi John, I can tweak gravity etc. What would you think would make the ship harder to control :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#4]
Good question- yup increasing the grav a bit will improve it. There was a follow up to virus on the PC by the same author way back. If you can find the demo it may give you some ideas. Virus required fairly tight control whereas it seemed pretty easy to just glide around in your demo.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yep, affecting gravity is no problem. It's all configurable :) Means that different plants can have different gravity. Also the main ship can have different engine powers, shots, etc so difficulty can be altered.

The main thing I get when researching Zarch is that it was loved but the controls were hated - what are your thoughts?

*(Posted 2013) [#6]
The phrase less is more is good for the old poly games, there is no need coding every tree, twig, or leaf if your loooking at the trees from a few thousand feet or a couple of miles away.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#7]
Here is the latest shot with the new HUD showing the status of the fuel hyper bomb and how many lives.

The ship is shown on the home base that has fuel tanks, antenna and a radar.

The cyan blocks on the HUD map are the location of Sentinels. Enemies appear in red. Power points in tiny dark red.

Currently reworking the alien craft to better fit in with the new style

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#8]
Looks lovely. Especially love the sky effect- ny chace of a hint how to do similar, in broad terms?

I'm surprised on the perception of the controls in Zarch- for me they made the game, much as the control was a big deal in Thrust, which was a massive hit.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#9]
The sky is just a simple plasma shader. I feed it a vec2(x,y) and time and it returns the plasma vec3(r,g,b).

Theres a bit more to it as there is a star shader height handlers etc.

I'm looking for testers :)

JBR(Posted 2013) [#10]
Hi, I'd be up for testing. Windows 7 & 8 PCs.
JIm

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#11]
Hi Jim, OSX only i'm afraid for testing