Expanding my Horizons

Community Forums/General Help/Expanding my Horizons

En929(Posted 2013) [#1]
It’s been a while since I posted here. I have been away making games in Java and JavaScript. But, I’m just looking to expand my horizons. Java is such a cool toolset to use and I’ve gotten so used to it. But, while I continue to use Java, I’m wondering what it will be like to expand and try to use C#. I personally like making web games. So thus, I was wondering can C# be used to make web games like Java can? And what are the benefits to learning C#? I'm also unclear as to why it was made. Thanks.

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#2]
I was wondering can C# be used to make web games like Java can?

C# can do basically everything Java can, except where .NET/Mono are deployed instead of where JVMs are.

And what are the benefits to learning C#?

Not huge. It's a nicer version of the same thing, more or less. It has a few "advanced features" Java chose to leave out, but the basics are very similar indeed.

I'm also unclear as to why it was made.

So is everyone else. (Politics, basically.) Strange choice that it may have been at the time, it does have a solid niche now though.

You really won't be stretching yourself with it though. Coming from Java you'll pick up the basics and be coding happily in it within the afternoon (it helps that since C# has more features, this is the easier way to go: you won't miss as many things as if you went C#->Java).

The advantage of learning C# is to open up another platform (the CLR), not really to learn anything language-wise. If you want to learn and expand your skillset in terms of actual languages, you would probably do better to stay with the JVM and simply pick a different language to use there. Clojure and Scala are both powerful, very different Java languages that will teach you all kinds of new and valuable things while staying on the platform you already know how to use. I recommend trying one of them. (Similarly, if you do eventually go to .NET, consider F# instead of C#. It's the hot new thing on that platform.)

I don't know how exactly you're using Java and the JVM anyway, but it doesn't sound like changing platforms would help much with what you want to do. .NET can do that sort of thing, but it's not especially good at or focused on it.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#3]

Because microsoft can't stand having someone else in control of anything, it triggers their "me too"-reflex.

En929(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks for the insight Yasha and xlsior. It's funny. It seems like I get the most insight in programming question on this site vs. when I go to actual Java forums where they beat around the bush and don't answer the questions directly or don't answer at all. Thus, thanks again.

Dabhand(Posted 2013) [#5]

It was really released because MS wanted to extend Java to use existing none-java code bases (Remember, MS had their own JVM for IE), Sun didnt like that because it took control from them, they took MS to court, won and voila... C#!

I cannot remember the exact details as it was a long time ago now, but aye, C# is the product of flinging handbags basically!

Dabz

En929(Posted 2013) [#6]
Ok, thanks for the background Dabhand.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#7]
I cannot remember the exact details as it was a long time ago now, but aye, C# is the product of flinging handbags basically!

Microsoft's attempt at Java was called J++:

The big breach with Sun was supposedly over MS not conforming to the java standards that Sun set -- not implementing certain subsets, and all kinds of priprietary MS extensions. Sun took them to court over that, and suspended their license, essentially freezing the java-side of the J++ feature set, which lead to it being discontinued.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%2B%2B

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#8]
And, if I recall correctly, wasn't it Sun who released Open Office as a free substitute for ms office after java seemed to vanish on out-of-the-shelf windows machines? Today, Open Office is by Oracle, but back then, wasn't it suns punch vs ms?

Edit: oh, I see, Oracle bought Sun. How sad. But OO still rocks.

Edit 2: wrong again, today OO is handled by the apache software foundation ASF.

anyway, sorry for the offtopic.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#9]
Edit: oh, I see, Oracle bought Sun. How sad. But OO still rocks.

OpenOffice is pretty much dead, since Oracle went out of their way to piss off all the developers when they took over. Most of them jumped ship, and started working on a new fork: LibreOffice.

LibreOffice has a lot of improvements over the original OpenOffice, and is pretty much the version to get these days.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#10]
Thanks for the information. Oo still works fine for me, as I only use it to write a letter from time to time, on old machines on which it's installed since decades.