any good dedicated (and managed) server?

Community Forums/General Help/any good dedicated (and managed) server?

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
One of my clients that runs a very small comerce wants to move away from their current shared hosting at Dreamhost becouse it's behaving really badly, slow, it's lots of time unavailable, etc etc.
I would like to suggest they move to a dedicated server, as they're not happy with the site begin a bit slow, but they have a very limited traffic and do not consume lots of bandwidth and most dedicated servers services I see are too expensive and too big on bandwith and storage.
Does anybody know of a good hosting service for small sites at a reasonable price? It requires to run PHP, MySql etc. (the usual bits on a standarized server running Debian or similar)

Thanks!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#2]
I use Linode's VPS 1GB plan, which I really like -- not dedicated but you get to choose the distro, server location, full root access to install what you like, plenty of disk space and bandwidth (well, for me anyway, and you can bump up the plan for more)...

https://www.linode.com/

They upgraded us from 512 MB with 4 [v]CPU cores to 1 GB with 8 cores earlier in the year, without charge, and I just notice they've upgraded the disk space from 24 GB to 48 GB, again without charge. Great setup guides in their 'library' too.

Some think they're expensive, but I think it's pretty good for $20 per month, certainly never experienced any trouble, though my bandwidth usage is admittedly minimal. (It runs a backend Monkey compiler -- I send code via an editor embedded in a web page and get the HTML5 build back in a frame!)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#3]
I'm worried on VPS being as slow as shared ones. I haven't any experience with them, are them any good?

EDIT: Linode sounded very good but it's not managed and I'm worried that if it's not managed I'll get phonecalls every five minutes. Anyway, thanks for the info as it seems a very good choice for unmanaged VPS!

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#4]
With a virtual private server, the provider can allocate specific resources to each VPS, meaning that you will have a 'guaranteed' resource availability withn it comes to memory, CPU, etc.

Shared hosting a single site can take up 99.9% of the resources on a machine if it gets popular enough.

Gabriel(Posted 2013) [#5]
A proper VPS is massively better than a shared hosting account. So long as you get your VPS with someone reputable, you'll get performance close to - or even better than a dedicated server.

WiredTree and KnownHost are both very reputable services offering managed VPS. Definitely do NOT recommend an unmanaged service unless you plan on doing a lot of support yourself because the tech gap between shared hosting and VPS/Dedicated is huge. They'll probably be comfortable in CPanel but completely lost in WHM. I know I was at first. There are management services around which you can use with any WHM/CPanel Linux-based host, but they generally won't support Linode. (I asked.)

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#6]
Definitely do NOT recommend an unmanaged service unless you plan on doing a lot of support yourself
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#7]
People, you should read the conversation I'm getting with the DreamHost service. I'm asking about the details of their VPS service, and they only say: Unlimited bandwidth. No info of the CPU cores priority, no info on dedicated bandwidth (if any), no info on if it uses SSD or other technologies... Don't you hate it when the technician does not understand very very basic things and he/she is supposed to attend you?

Gabriel(Posted 2013) [#8]
Ugh, that's awful. I thought Dreamhost were supposed to be ok too, but I guess they're more focused on the low-end shared-hosting end of the market.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#9]
Dreamhost is one of the worst, if not the worst. Their status blog makes for very good reading though.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#10]
Don't you hate it when the technician does not understand very very basic things and he/she is supposed to attend you?

That doesn't necessarily mean they don't understand, more likely company mandate against committing to anything specific.

Being wishy-washy about their promises means more flexibility in creatively moving things around and assigning resources, resulting in cost-savings for the hosting company.

(Realistically, many people over-estimate their needs. A random dinky website can easily live on a single server with a few thousand other dinky websites. That means it's a hundred times cheaper for the hosting company to operate that way than to promise you at least 10% CPU at all times)

Gabriel(Posted 2013) [#11]
That's all well and good for shared hosting, but the whole point of paying extra for a VPS is to be guaranteed a specified amount of resources. Hell, even the Dreamhost website says "DreamHost partitions a physical server into multiple virtual servers that each have a protected and reserved amount of CPU and RAM resources."

So if they reserve an amount of CPU and RAM resources but refuse to tell you what it is, they're essentially selling shared hosting at VPS prices.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#12]
http://www.hostinger.com/

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#13]
Hell, even the Dreamhost website says "DreamHost partitions a physical server into multiple virtual servers that each have a protected and reserved amount of CPU and RAM resources."

So if they reserve an amount of CPU and RAM resources but refuse to tell you what it is, they're essentially selling shared hosting at VPS prices.
They only talk about "reserved" RAM, but no info on swaps. Actual ram usage can only be seen on a graph they provide that seems to respond to server activity, but given than non of the VPS are running background tasks, the shown ram usage is very very weird. Also, no details on swap space, so it may not be swap space. It really looks like shared server and it is by no means noticeable faster (I've been some days testing their VPS before migrating the site, as I wanted to avoid all the headaches of going from one provider to another).

In fact, I'm seriously considering getting a VPS for my own sites somewhere else. I've read the prontoserver is also a good alternative.I've found very bad reviews too. I think I'll go with knownhost
Hostinger seems very cheap to be true... duno

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#14]
Ziggy: I used: http://www.hostforweb.com for many years and I was very happy.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#15]
Depends what country your in but perhaps:
http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/server/dedicated/
They have SQL and PHP on linux server.

Runs in different countries too. I myself (in The Netherlandas)don't use dedicated, just virtual, such as:
http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/hosting/

However dedicated servers probably don't come cheap..