Galaxy S3 replacement screen

Community Forums/General Help/Galaxy S3 replacement screen

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello

Can anybody recommend a decent place (UK) to get a replacement screen (LCD, everything) for a Galaxy S3? My wife managed to drop my phone today onto solid concrete. The glass is smashed from top to bottom (so much for Gorilla glass), and the LCD display is dead. Touch sensitivity still works, somehow, and the phone still works, if I don't mind not being able to see what I'm doing, and getting shards of glass in my finger-ends.

I've been looking on fleaBay but so many of these so-called top-rated sellers have less than adequate feedback (99.7% positive is my absolute cut-off point).

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
99.7% may be setting the bar a bit too high -- keep in mind that any time you are dealing with parts, it requires some user competence as well. Incompetent users often blame the seller too, decreasing his/her rating.

You may want to look at some of the vendors below your "absolute cut-off point" to see how valid the typical complaints sound.

"I bought a replacement screen and it cracked when I used my drill to tighten the screws"-style comments are unfair to penalize a part seller on, but you WILL likely see them, dragging down the ratings.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yeah, fair point.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Just ordered one for £91 inc shipping. It'd cost me more than that for a new phone, so...

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Just ordered one for £91 inc shipping. It'd cost me more than that for a new phone, so...

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
Oh, and here's my poorly phone:

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#7]
A lot of the phones that are just around the corner are switching to 'bendable' screens -- even though you wouldn't want to have a phone that you can flex or bend, it could greatly reduce the changes of accidental damage like this.

If the screen can withstand being flexed, it wouldn't shatter after a hard impact like if you'd drop your phone.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#8]
Woah, she made a right old mess of that. Maybe get one of those rubber cases after fitting the new screen?

+1 for what xlsior said about ebay. Top sellers have feedback scores in the thousands meaning they've sold A LOT of stuff over the years. There's always idiots all too ready to give completely unfair neg feedback. It's really hard to get it removed too, apparently. ebay are all about buyers; they don't seem to give a sh*t about sellers these days, it seems.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#9]
It has one of those hard shell type cases on it. As you can see, it's effectiveness in protecting my phone was near enough diddly squat.

The annoying thing about it is, she drops her S2 all the time and apart from a tiny mark on the edge of the phone, no damage. First time she drops my phone, THIS!!

big10p(Posted 2013) [#10]
It's a well documented phenomena call "Sod's law".

GfK(Posted 2013) [#11]
My new screen came today - very fiddly to do as there's a load of thin ribbon connectors held down with double-sided tape so I had to be ultra-careful.

At least the new one came with the screen/glass/surround already assembled, so it was just a matter of teasing out the components from the old one, and installing them onto the new one. Time-consuming, but not particularly difficult.

Oh, and I got the screen from here: http://r.ebay.com/HXLl1E - took a punt on a 99.4%! I'd only just woken up when it arrived, and was horrified upon taking it out of the packet as it was blue, but not PEBBLE blue - it was duck-egg blue! Fortunately it turned out to be a protective film, which just happened to be a different shade of the colour I'd ordered. :D

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#12]
Got a picture of your phone now then? (for before/after comparisons) ;-)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#13]
Didn't much see the point, as it looks like a new one. :P

[edit] Just for Brucey! ;)

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#14]
Good job! And it saved you buying a new phone.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#15]
Remember to not lend it to the missus again, unless you're standing on grass. :P

GfK(Posted 2013) [#16]
I didn't lend it to her. I put it somewhere, she attempted to move it. She failed.

Ravl(Posted 2013) [#17]
some weeks ago i dropped my HTC 8X on solid concrete... like 10 inchs above the floor.

the screen was ok but it only rendered black color :))

my girlfriend has an S3 and she is dropping it every a few months... no issues there :))