Help with laptop

Community Forums/General Help/Help with laptop

Yue(Posted 2013) [#1]
Gentlemen, I bought a laptop in the free market, those computers used and which has the following resources.

HP pavilon dv2000
Windows 7 SP1
Precesador dual 1.6
2 Gigs of ram.
120 gigabyte hard drive.

That factory computer with windows vista, but have windows 7 and is very slow and I want to format it first of all to change the interface to Spanish as this in English.

My question is: I can pass it to Windows XP, I think of my ignorance that would go a little faster and I have to find compatibility possibilities for sound and video drivers and wifi.

A greeting.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#2]
I wouldn't go for xp for the aforementioned potential driver issues and security weaknesses if you are connecting to the net.

If the gfx card is weak, turning off aero will speed it up considerably.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#3]
The speed of windows 7 and windows XP will be very similar on a computer --(unlike vista, which is much slower). I wouldn't expect much speed difference by downgrading to XP.

I would recommend staying away from XP anyway, since Microsoft will stop releasing critical security updates 6 months from now, which is dangerous if you connect to the internet with it.

Now: If this is a used computer that did NOT have a fresh installation on it, it's possible that there's a bunch of junk running in the background slowing things down. You may want to run malware bytes (free download, http:///www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download ) which can help clean up malicious programs.

Another thing to check: since the computer didn't ship with windows 7 from the manufacturer (you say it has the vista license), you may want to double-check to make sure that windows is indeed activated or you risk that your current installation will all of a sudden stop working at some point.
right-click on 'my computer' -> 'properties', make sure it says windows is activated.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#4]
If it can handle Vista, it normally will run faster with Win7. I myself have a DV6700 series with 3GB RAM, which had Vista originally and now has Win7 64bit(yes, will run blitz OK).

I would check temperatures using CPUID HWMonitor(link) cos these systems tend to slow down a lot when there's dust in the heatsink/fan assy(design flaw). If so then it's time to disassemble Johny5 and clean out and replace thermal grease when at it. I have to clean out once a year.

Also it might benifit from a little extra memory, but apparently you'll need the exact model number(on the back label) to see if you can use maximum of 2 or 4 gigs of memory.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#5]
One question, the hp pavilion dv2000 with how much video memory hits the market.
It has 256 ram, I think it's very little.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#6]
About I have consegir heat with a fan base that is weighted below the laptop.

I think that I'm afraid to open it to change the dissipating paste.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#7]
Ok it's windows xp, Skyn Windows 7

GfK(Posted 2013) [#8]
The windows XP drivers for that laptop can be had from here.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#9]
Questions, the temperature of the processor in descando is 56 degrees Celsius, it that normal? or would have to lose more, or in this case change the heat dissipating paste?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#10]
No need for that - just clean the dust out of the CPU fan/vent. You should do that periodically anyway. I normally just stick a vacuum cleaner nozzle onto the side of the laptop, over the vent.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#11]
Uhuh, but HP laptops(and others) have a design flaw: dust accumulates near the heatsink and eventually it will turn into a fabric blocking the vents,which cannot be blown out by compressed air or vacuum cleaner. And on older systems the thermal grease can be dried out and needs to be replaced(like in 5 years or so), can be cleaned off using cleaning alcohol from pharmacist(2 euro's/dollars).

If idling at 56 degrees then still tolerable, mine is right now about 41 degrees, but that's because I keeping it very clean. If temperatures approach 90 degrees when stressed then really time to clean out the fan/heatsink. Also I've noticed that my system runs cooler at Win7 x64 than x32.

I'm actually a professional and done this also privately quite a few times for different older laptops(Dell,IBM). It's not that hard if you look up the manuals and also youtube(link) can help a lot. Thermal grease can be purchased for 6 euro's round here. Just a bit of a nerve wrecker the first time, but do-able if you take your time.

First you disconnect charger, remove battery and press powerbutton for a minute to discharge capacitors. Then remove user serviceable things like HDD, ODD, RAM, WLANcards etc. Then usually remove screws from bottom and use an old creditcard(no metal tools, or plastic will be damaged/break off) to gently pry open the hingecovers/bezel(gently disconnect flatcables by opening connectors using creditcard edge and pull out), remove keyboard and flatcables, followed by the palmrest(same here: disconnect cables for touchpad etc). Therefrom you can unscrew the hinges, disconnect the LCDcable and put the LCD aside. After that some additionals such as speakers etc.

Some machines allow you to take of the backcover just like that, exposing the fan/heatsink in one go, which makes things much easier.
Always mark/put aside screws in order of dissembling and put everything back in reverse order. Pictures say more than words, so check out youtube link.

Model number/ type should be on the backside label. For Windows7 to work comfortably you need 2GB. It can run(but won't install) on much less like 512MB, but will be too slow.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#12]
Btw my current HP DV6700 series laptop has the same design as yours. Looks very similar even the labels at bottom right. You have 1.93GB RAM apparently so Win7 should work ok.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#13]
XP SP3 is a speedkiller(I suspect MS to sabotage it so you buy new OS & PC)

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#14]
XP SP3 is a speedkiller(I suspect MS to sabotage it so you buy new OS & PC)

Paranoid much?

SP3 uses more resources because it's bigger and bulkier, plain and simple. And that's a natural result of extra checks and balances to close gaping security holes in the earlier versions.

Unfortunately, XP is a ticking timebomb in general: After April 8, 2014 microsoft will stop releasing critical updates for XP. That means the next time they find a massive securityhole that allows anyone to remotely break into your computer you'll just be out of luck. :-?

(Which will create problems for everyone else as well, given that your shiney new fully-patched windows 8 machine does share the internet with a few hundred million unsecured XP machines)

Yue(Posted 2013) [#15]
Stress tests, at rest and then after 10 minutes playing gta vice city. I am relieved that I comets was a tolerable temperature. Ya think next week I encourage you to change me and dissipating pasta.

I have to say as it is the first laptop that I have in my life, buy him a base to set up the computer, this database brings venitlador and blows from the bottom up. The windows 7, initially was with the vat but seem very slow and very probably in the future will install windows 7.

The concern regarding the video memory is not whether if the two gigs take that, or the integrated chip sets the maximum capacity of memory dedicated to video. I was at 128 and the bios I changed a few parameters and has been in video memory 512.

Greetings.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#16]
Ah, ok. :-)