Just a rant about yahoo mail

Community Forums/General Help/Just a rant about yahoo mail

col(Posted 2013) [#1]
Is anyone else having problems with using Yahoo mail on windows8?
I'm using Opera ( desktop ) on Win8, and when I try to send an email its the most difficult thing ever. Sometimes the web page doesnt even recognise me clicking the mouse to reload my inbox ( or any folder come to think of it ), but then it decides that it will detect the mouse clicks. When I compose an email I click the 'Send' button and the whole email just vanishes - not in the Sent Items, not in the Drafts, not in any other folder - just vanished.

As usual everything was working fine until they 'made' you use their latest website look.

Actually, can anyone recommend a better email service thats reliable please...

Cheers all

big10p(Posted 2013) [#2]
gmail

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yahoo is so rubbish, even BT binned them off in favour of their own email service.

I really only use my business email that comes with my hosting package, never had any problems. But I also have a gmail account that I don't use very often, but on the occasions I do use it, it always works, and I can say the same about my hotmail account.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#4]
WELL, Yahoo have messed up Yahoo email as I cant even change the title that I want to send like Hello whatever person is....and also it does seem slower when you got theme on....I wish I hadnt upgrade yahoo email in first place if I had knew the problem was coming!!

col(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yes, they've definitely done something wrong along the way :/

If BT binned them then it must be bad :)

Thanks, gmail got a couple of mentions so I'll take a look there and see how I get on with that.

Is it me or is it that the nice things that made a technology a joy to use and work with are slowly being reversed and just getting damn annoying - all in the name of 'progress'.

Perhaps I've just had it easy in the past and not noticed - or I'm slowly going insane or both - I get annoyed now at the things that used to be nice, easy and intuitive and are now made difficult/annoying for no reason.

another example(s) - I'm using Virgin as an ISP and they are slowly going downhill for me - throttling speeds and intermittent connections, changing terms of the contract etc. My mobile phone '3' want to charge me to connect any device to the internet via my phone - even though I have *unlimited* data allowance - they call it a 'tethering charge', change of terms of the contract again. what difference does it make if I use the 'net via my phone or connect my laptop through the phone to the internet - the allowance is supposed to be unlimited - I'm already paying a little extra in the contract for that privilege and they want to charge again for tethering.

I understand that any change of contract with the above is a breach of contract hence unless both parties agree then the contract is no more - yeahhhh right - you have to FIGHT for that right. What IS the world coming to?

One of those days...

big10p(Posted 2013) [#6]
Tethering charges are common. I guess the mobile companies are just closing the door to any 'fair use' abuse. For example, you could tether your PC to your phone and download torrents all day long - something you're unlikely to be doing on your phone. Having said that, my mobile provider doesn't charge for tethering.

Re: hotmail. It seems all hotmail accounts are automatically being moved over to outlook.com accounts. Outlook.com is being advertised on TV, saying they don't scan emails like gmail does. Does anyone use outlook.com and is it a serious rival to gmail?

I'm not too bothered about my gmail being scanned as I don't use it for personal stuff. I have my ISP email for that.

col(Posted 2013) [#7]
My friend was forced to move over from hotmail to outlook and it was part of an automatic 'upgrade', after the first day he just gave up on outlook altogether. He asked me to help him compose an email and the browser ( any browser ) would just hang on loading the contacts, even when the contacts page showed it was empty - no contacts. No previous emails were kept during the upgrade. I don't know if he was fore warned or not if everything would be lost but it was. He quickly abandoned outlook and moved over to yahoo ( thinking that all would be well ) and look what happened to that, lol. :)

big10p(Posted 2013) [#8]
Oh dear :P

col(Posted 2013) [#9]
EDIT: re tethering. I upgraded my mobile phone insisting that I keep the exact same contract and conditions. I'd never heard of tethering until the time I attempted to log on with my laptop, which failed and a phone call later it was explained, which was NEVER explained to me before, so in fact the contract was different, no point trying to argue with them, their attitude was 'if you don't like then leave it oh and you need to pay the rest of the contract if you opt out early'. I can understand them not wanting people to abuse the networks with downloading large files all day and night but then why are they advertising and selling an unlimited data usage package if they don't want people to use it - bizarre.

oh dear oh dear indeed :p

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#10]
Gmail... you'll never look back. Install Thunderbird too. Links seamlessly with Gmail.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#11]
Yeah, gmail is especially good if you have an android phone - contacts and calendar automatically sync, and email gets pushed to your phone. You can set an email/SMS/pop-up reminder for appointments in your calendar, too. Very useful.

I do use Thunderbird but it winds me up. Very clunky on my machine. It takes several seconds just to delete an email. WTF!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#12]
There will always be browser or mail client issues. I am using the classic web interface for yahoo mail, works fine. Something that is much more important is enduring presence. Yahoo does not delete your account or mails for no reson, nor do they observe you as the kraken google does.

Marissa Meyer is pretty sexy and Yahoo search actually finds stuff, very unlike google search. For instance, when I tried to find the email adress of a certain movie producer who operates with budgets up to 60 Mio., yahoo, unlike google, managed to get me in touch with this guy.
And hey, if we're all using only google anymore, soon there will be nothing else left, leading to total information control. And if there is once a data monopol then it gets real dumb.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#13]
You cant even change title on what you want to say in YAHOO and GMAIL is very good !

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#14]
In terms of "gmail serves my lazyness" it may be really good. Just like in managing your relations and offering you the ads that fit your "special needs".

The reason why gmail is good, is the fact that they make money out of your personal profile.
/rant.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#15]
The reason why gmail is good, is the fact that they make money out of your personal profile.
Why would you care about that? I don't. They are a business, after all.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2013) [#16]
I've used yahoo for 15 years, never bothered chasing the latest best email provider.

Right now the email is the worst its ever been. It's the 1st time I want to bin it. Just writing out text in a email composition is enough to freeze the app. I have to use notepad instead.
The attempt at auto organising emails is poor, though I could get used to it.
And there's the usual grind of learning the pointless new lay out.
But I can't really bin it cos I'm engaged in a lot of emails correspondence right now.

What a piece of junk.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#17]
big10p - business, just like anything goes as long as there is profit. This is sociopatic, seen in the "Bailout" real estate scam etc. War is profit. etc. you name it.

I'd expect a little more from you, than "just business". pls excuse, I'was p**d off already for other reasons. x_x

And: yes, there may be tech issues with yahoo mail,atm.