Recommend me a decent mouse

Community Forums/General Help/Recommend me a decent mouse

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
I had a Logitech Click years ago, and it was a great mouse. Basic, but nice to use.

Since it's little "accident" (the cable got stuck under my PC, so I pulled it and all the wires came out), I've had several other mice and they all seem to fail within 12 months. I'm on about my 3rd one now, currently an HP 5-Button Optical Comfort Mouse. It's under a year old and already one of the buttons is failing. I really need something much more durable.

Not so long ago, I bought a Razer Blackwidow 2013 mechanical keyboard, which is awesome even though it cost me nearly £100 - are the Razer mice any good?

Any others I should be looking at? Oh, and it MUST be wired. I cannot tolerate wireless keyboards/mice for everyday use. My desk is already like Blackpool sea-front with all the charging lights everywhere, I don't want to add to it.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
Personally my favorite is the Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical -- best thing MS ever made. Unfortunately they recently discontinued them after 15+ years

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
I still have a PS/2 Microsoft ball mouse that I got in 1998. I *believe* it still works. Obviously I'd like something a little more modern and reliable, though. :)

I quite like the look of the Razer Taipan but it's WAY pricey. It says it's venomous, but I bet it's not.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#4]
I have Wireless Logitec Mouse and it is Great!

The only downside is when the Batteries run out and you have replace them..
Good Batteries last about Month or so to replace them

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#5]
I never liked the wireless mice because:

1) you tend to have very little notice for the batteries to die, which always seems to happen at inoppertune times

2) I found that the tiny amount of extra weight (caused by the batteries) causes strain to my wrists, causing RSI-style issues. Switched back to wired mouse and that immediately cleared up.
(This was using the MS wheelmouse and microsoft wheelmouse wireless, which have an identical form factor - only difference was the cord & weight difference)

*(Posted 2013) [#6]
Im using a cheap mouse from asda and to be honest its the best mouse ive got, had it for over three years and its still going strong.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#7]
I can't really recommend a mouse as I use an MS optical trackball, but this looks good:

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#8]
eww

I like these, -Mad Catz/Cyborg RAT series ...(the "other" rat series :D) :

http://compreviews.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=compreviews&cdn=compute&tm=20&f=00&su=p284.13.342.ip_p504.6.342.ip_&tt=3&bt=4&bts=4&zu=http%3A//cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm

Its a lot more ergonomic than it looks! Not cheap either. But it works on (almost) any surface due to an insane DPI
-(its not LED-"optical", this is DUAL laser @ 6400 DPI!).

I got the mid range one, but wish i had paid the extra to get the BT version

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#9]

GfK(Posted 2013) [#10]
I was about to point out, before I saw your edit, that those things are manufactured by Mad Catz. Aren't they a bit.... crap?

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#11]
No it is brilliant.
it is called "Cyborg Rat" series too (google "cyborg rat" and you will see what i mean :D eg; http://www.cyborggaming.com/contagion/ )
Perhaps madcatz are one of those umbrella jobs (like dell is to Alienware).. no idea.

...Anyway....
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/worldexclusive_review_rat7_best_gaming_mouse_ever_0
I have no complaints whatsoever.

Its better than the Razer one I had before (and those are really good as well!)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#12]
I just picked up a Razer Deathadder 2013, cost me £65.

Not the cheapest mouse you'll see, but compared to some, it's pretty cheap. It's officially a "gaming" mouse, but it doesn't have 3 million buttons I'll never use. There are 5 - the usual two, scrollwheel button, and two under your thumb. You can set the resolution up to 6400DPI independently on each axis (why would you? But you can), and also change the polling rate between 100/500/1000Hz.

My desk, is a complete tip. I have a mouse mat, but there's normally other stuff on it that prevent the mouse from being on it. Thankfully this mouse is super smooth and works flawlessly on every surface I've tested it on (even the wall, the side of my face, and the carpet, just to see).

I also like how the scroll wheel lights up. A gimmicky feature you might think, but I've often been working til late, not noticing that the transition from day to night has happened, and ended up feeling around my desk trying to locate the mouse. The other thing is it has a 7ft braided cable, so that should stop it from suffering the same fate as my Logitech Click.

The only downside, if there's to be one, is that the USB plug is gold plated. I'm pretty sure that's an unnecessary manufacturing expense for items such as this.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#13]
Ditch the mousemat, they're just a hangover from the ball mouse days. In fact, optical mice tend to function better without one.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#14]
It's more for protecting my desk, rather than being of any benefit to the mouse.

Gabriel(Posted 2013) [#15]
I had one of the original DeathAdders from Razer. Best mouse I've ever used by a mile. Apart from being insanely smooth and comfortable, it's the only mouse I've ever used which put the shoulder buttons where I actually have my thumb on a mouse. Everyone else puts them miles out of my way.

I like that the 2013 model has a matte finish, as the old one was a bit shiny, and the braided cable would be a godsend for me. It's just a shame they've switched over to the new green LEDs. I much preferred the blue ones in the old DeathAdder, but I guess green is more consistent with all the other Razer products.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#16]
The two buttons on the side are perfectly placed for me, too. My thumb naturally rests on the gap between both buttons (with a slight bias towards the rear one which functions as a 'back' button by default), so I can get either of them without moving very much.

You get some that feel like they were designed by somebody who has never said to themselves "now... how big is a hand?". I also like how they make an ergonomic left-handed version. I use the mouse with my right hand tho, even though I'm actually left handed for writing/drawing, and I use my Wacom left-handed, play darts and golf right-handed, snooker left-handed, guitar right-handed... I'm ambiguously ambidextrous! :D

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#17]
I use a simple Microsoft Wireless Mouse 1000. It's small, has no cable and I can reuse the old AA batteries from my TV remote control until they are really dead (and this can take months).

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#18]
£70 for Mouse? I bought mine for just £6 :)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#19]
It's the Rolls Royce of computer peripherals, though.