How to stop windows modifying a network link?

Community Forums/General Help/How to stop windows modifying a network link?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#1]
I have some desktop shortcuts to shared folders on my machine. Although the folders reside on my machine, the shortcuts use the network name of the machine, the idea being that I can copy and past the link info into an email if I want to let another network user know how to access them.

The annoying thing is that if I click on them, Windows takes the liberty of resolving it to a local address (e.g. C:\whatever) rather than a network address and overwriting the shortcut.

Is there a way of stopping this?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#2]
Maybe not clean, but setting the link as read-only has thwarted Windows for now.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#3]
This may take care of it:

Shortcut Containing UNC and Static Paths

For a shortcut that contains both UNC and static paths, shortcut resolution is more complex. If the you have not disabled shortcut resolution, then the original network resource is used. If the shortcut is mapped to the drive specified in the static path, that drive is used. If the resource is mapped to a different drive, the new drive is used, and the shortcut's static path is updated with the new drive information. If the resource is not currently mapped to a drive, one is assigned automatically, and the shortcut is updated with the new drive information.

If shortcut resolution has been disabled, it is resolved to the specified static path. Note that the original UNC path information is still contained within the shortcut.

If the original network share is mapped to the drive specified in the static path, the shortcut is resolved to it, but the UNC path information is not deleted from the shortcut.

If a different network share has been mapped to the drive indicated by the static path, and the static path points to an existing file on that drive, then the UNC information is removed from the shortcut, and the shortcut is resolved like a local shortcut. The update to Shell32.dll causes UNC information in all shortcuts to be ignored if the DWORD value "LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo" is present in the following registry key, and set to a data value of "1":
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150215

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks xlsior.