Domain Name Advice

Community Forums/General Help/Domain Name Advice

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#1]
I am putting out a product where the name will be hyphenated. Just an example name here:

JR-Books

When I get the domain should I get:

1. jr-books.com
or
2. jrbooks.com

Should I choose 1 or 2 for the domain name?

Henri(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hello,

I would choose option 2. Simpler is more beatiful and memorable.

-Henri

Yan(Posted 2013) [#3]
Both...At least.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#4]
Same... each "-" will make your potential "by memory"-visitors ask themselves:
j-r-books?
j-rbooks?
jr-books
jrbooks

So the best bet is to just leave hyphenations out.

another option is to use
johnathan-reese (or how the initials are created :D).
Okay, names like jollyroger will surely be already used and need the "books" at the end to be distinguishable (trademarks and other sueable things).

bye
Ron

Zethrax(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hyphens are generally considered bad from the perspective of humans and search engines, but it can be useful to get alternate versions as well and re-direct them to your main domain.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#6]
If you have to pick just one, use the one without hyphenation... But domain names are cheap -- if you can afford to, get both.

Most hosting providers will allow you to alias both domains to the same website.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#7]

Hyphens are generally considered bad from the perspective of humans and search engines

Does not seem to bother google :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQcSFsQyct8

big10p(Posted 2013) [#8]
I'd go for the one without the hyphen. I don't like hyphens in URLs.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#9]
"Where you get that book from?"

"Oh, I got it from JR Books"

"Thanks!"

*a week later*

"Does that book place have a website? jrbooks.com didn't work"

"Oh yeah, "it's jr HYPHEN books.com"

"hmm, thanks. Pity I bought the book from some place else now".

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#10]
I do appreciate all of the advice. I will definitely go non-hyphenated for the domain name.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#11]
"Where you get that book from?"

"Oh, I got it from amazon."

"Thanks!"

*a week later*

"Does that book place have a website - yeah it surely has one but I did not need to visit it, amazon even sells books from others. Even found out there is only one book by this author up to now - just ordered a thematic similar one"

"Oh yeah, that is amazon."

Think this behaviour is way more realistic.

People who are "fans" of an author just have a book with the url in there ... or know how to use google to find the authors website (some have names like "dreamyworld" instead of their authors name).

If "I" want to know whether Stan Nicholls has a new book, I ask Wikipedia as it has a list of his books. Or I check Amazon whether they have a release date.
The only exception to check the authors website is to read a "blog" or if I want to give feedback using a forum / feedback form.

bye
Ron