Cubemap textures for space?

Community Forums/General Help/Cubemap textures for space?

Yue(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello, anyone has information on where I can find for cubemap textures?, For the space from the perspective of the earth?

Greetings.

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#2]
Not quite a cubemap, but if you map it on a flipped sphere and rotate the camera to all six directions you could "photograph" your own cubemap out of it:

The Milky Way panorama
(below right is the original image with 6000x3000 pixels)

Yue(Posted 2013) [#3]
Ho cristian thanks!, I wondered if your planets Maker application should have a option to export cube map space.

Immensely grateful.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#4]
That's a view from Earth? I don't ever remember seeing anything that dramatic when I look at the night sky. :)

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#5]
big10p: yes, read the description in the link. Here in urban germany I never saw the milkyway with my own eyes :-( The cities are too bright and the Frankfurt airport illuminates the night sky even more.

Yue: add it if you want, I'm concentrating on my game now and do not have update plans for Planet Creator in the next time, perhaps in future as a derivate from the game.

Krischan(Posted 2013) [#6]
Oh I forgot - you should try this, it's amazing - a zoomable Viewer of the original 800 million pixel image from the photographer Serge Brunier:

The Sky of Earth - One thousand billion worlds

360° Panorama

Yue(Posted 2013) [#7]
Ok, thanks Christian, on the sky depends on the perspective on where we are on the planet, if for example if you are further north or south the moon looks much larger.

So it all depends from which part of the world are seeing the sky.